reverse look-up of u.s. phone numbers

Post your Jokes, SPAM, and other off-topic junk here :D
littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

reverse look-up of u.s. phone numbers

Postby littlepeaks » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Posting this, because I thought it was kind of neat.

I found a Russian website that lists U.S. (and supposedly Canadian) land-line phone numbers and who they belong to. Don't think it lists cell phones.

The neat thing about the site is that you can scroll up and down on the phone number lists and see who belongs to ALL the numbers. This could be bad if telemarketers get hold of this list.

The site in Russian is: http://usa-phones.ru/

Web site translated into English by Google:

http://translate.google.com/translate?p ... ones.ru%2F

(Google seems to do a pretty decent job in its translation.)

I've been trying to fight off the telemarketers here. (Yesterday, I received a telemarketing call that actually spoofed my phone number -- yes, my name and phone number actually appeared on the caller ID, so I blocked my phone number as well). Comcast has increased the number of phone numbers a person can block from 10 to 25. Comcast is now recommending "nomorobo". Wonder if anyone in our group has experience with this? I tried to set it up, but need to register with some additional apps first.

Jim
Posted from my garage-door opener.

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: reverse look-up of u.s. phone numbers

Postby USAFA82 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:37 pm

I've heard of nomorobo and been to their site but I've never set it up. I meant to, but got busy with other things. My initial thought about the Russian site, is that they are somehow in cahoots with the telemarketers. If you searched the database for your number, you probably confirmed that number for them. Then again, it sounds like they all have your number anyway. :)

*Edit: Just finished setting up nomorobo. I'll let you know how I like it.

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:09 am

What's a land line? :mrgreen:

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:24 pm

You can get the same information on whitepages and many other sites, doing what is called Reverse Lookup, you enter the phone # and it tells you who owns it and gives the address.

http://www.whitepages.com/
[Image

littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby littlepeaks » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:05 pm

I've used the White Pages, but don't like it. They keep trying to get you to click on one of those pay links for more info. The Russian site seems to be mainly for Russians trying to call the US and Canada. I like the way it's easy to get the info.

Mike -- I have been trying to set up Nomorobo for two weeks, without success. I got Voice2Go running (but it took them 2 days to activate that app). My main problem is that I can't get "Advanced Call Forwarding" working. It says it's temporarily unavailable. When I click edit, it says "Sorry, there was a problem retrieving Advanced Call Forwarding settings. Please contact Comcast Customer Care with the following message: 'No SNS phone numbers configured'." I called Comcast last Weds. and last night, but they don't seem to have a clue about what to do about it. Posted a message on Comcast's forums this evening about that, and hopefully someone knowledgeable will answer my post.
Posted from my garage-door opener.

Return to “Junk Topic Room”