That Dusty Old Computer

Post your tech support questions here. Have a question about Boinc, Vista, XP, etc? This is the place!
thepeacemaker7
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

That Dusty Old Computer

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:30 pm

Hey Guys,
When do you finally determine that an old computer needs to hit the dump heap? I have 4 Pentium 4 computers, and I am using one of them as a PFSense router right now. However, I have to admit, I am getting this sinking feeling that it is time to let these computers go. Why? Mainly because I could build a PFSense router for less than $200 dollars that uses less electricity and has more features.

Are there any distributed computing projects that use 15 year old computers in a meaningful way? :icon_rolleyes: If not, when do you guys take your old computer behind the barn and put it out of its misery? lol

Your pack-ratting friend thepeacemaker7 :icon_cheesygrin:

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: That Dusty Old Computer

Postby USAFA82 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:55 pm

I have a customer that still has some Pentium 4 computers. lol The decision to retire a computer is based when when it's outlived it's usefulness. My personal opinion is that Pentium 4's aren't going to be as useful, productive or efficient as a newer computer. On the other hand, if you want a badge that shows time spent in a particular project, a very slow computer can help you achieve that goal better than a new computer.

I have a first-generation Core i7 that I built in 2009. I have the original specs somewhere on this board. Since then, I've added memory, replaced the hard drives a couple of times, upgraded the video card, and just in the past week I upgraded the drive to a SSD. It's still faster than most of the computers I work on for customers. I may try to build a 7th gen Core i7 next year but I also have to be a good steward. If my current machine keeps plugging along, I may wait.

It may be time to donate them to your local Goodwill :)

littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby littlepeaks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:57 pm

Hmmm -- I have an old Pentium PC down stairs. It was pretty beefy at the time, and has a separate video card from the motherboard. It still works pretty well, but haven't started it up in about a year. It has a large CRT monitor that' starting to lose its focus (it can run an HD monitor). It has Doom II, which runs real well on it. I uninstalled the Norton antivirus on it, since it is no longer connected to the internet. Think it has MS Office Professional 2003 on it. Also has Norton Ghost -- not sure if I got rid of that or not. Probably ought to dispose of it, unless someone wants it.
Posted from my garage-door opener.

thepeacemaker7
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:34 am

littlepeaks wrote:Hmmm -- I have an old Pentium PC down stairs. It was pretty beefy at the time, and has a separate video card from the motherboard. It still works pretty well, but haven't started it up in about a year. It has a large CRT monitor that' starting to lose its focus (it can run an HD monitor). It has Doom II, which runs real well on it. I uninstalled the Norton antivirus on it, since it is no longer connected to the internet. Think it has MS Office Professional 2003 on it. Also has Norton Ghost -- not sure if I got rid of that or not. Probably ought to dispose of it, unless someone wants it.

Does that computer have DOS or Windows on it?

littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby littlepeaks » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:38 pm

It has Windows XP, but I haven't done updates since I mothballed it. Don't know if the XP updates are still available or not. I used to run WCG on it, but only one WU at a time.
Posted from my garage-door opener.

Return to “Tech Support”