need advice on getting new PC

Post your tech support questions here. Have a question about Boinc, Vista, XP, etc? This is the place!
littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: need advice on getting new PC

Postby littlepeaks » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:57 pm

I was down to running one WU at a time because of heat problems. The fins of the heat sink were getting clogged up pretty badly, so I went down to the local computer store, PC Brokers, with the intent of getting some thermal grease, taking the heat sink off, cleaning out the fins, and reapplying thermal grease IAW the video that someone sent. The guy said to bring it on down and they'd do it for me for free. When the guy opened the case, he saw the way Dell had installed 8 GB of RAM, yanked one stick out, and reconfigured the RAM in the holder. He said it wasn't made to be installed that way, and said I'd get a small performance boost running it this way (with 6 GB of RAM). He said the stock I7 cooler runs warmer than some of the aftermarket coolers. He also said, he recommended that with this chip I run up into the low 80s temp anyway -- that the chip is designed to take it. I checked on the internet, and it seems everyone now recommends highest working temp of 80 degrees C. After he blew the dust out with an air compressor he had out back, he put premium thermal compound on the heat sink and put this bad boy back together. Cost = $0.00

I set my max temp to 80 deg. C, and am now crunching 3 WUs at a time. Don't think it's running much/any cooler than when I got it brand new. BTW, it is usually pretty warm in the computer room. We are getting ready to get AC installed in the house. As far as the PC is concerned, maybe someday, I'll buy an aftermarket cooler.

Also, someone on the Dell forum suggested:
Try running SpeedFan to control the fan speeds, and Tthrottle, by EFMER, to throttle the cpu when using WCG. I run BOINC 24-7, and Tthrottle really helps.

Anyone ever hear of that?

Meanwhile, I'm staring at this 2GB RAM stick, and debating whether to put it back in or not. I notice no difference in performance with it out.

lp
Posted from my garage-door opener.

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:38 am

littlepeaks wrote:Meanwhile, I'm staring at this 2GB RAM stick, and debating whether to put it back in or not. I notice no difference in performance with it out.

lp

From memory (which is going) :icon_rolleyes: Most Ram is designed to be installed either in "pairs" or "groups of three".

So if you have 3 sticks of 2GB (6GB total) next upgrade would be 3 sticks 4GB (12GB total).
I don't remember ever seeing a 3GB stick.

B2I
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby B2I » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:52 pm

TRY something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103057. you'll be amazed at how much cooler you'll run even with all 8 cores firing 100%. Look up a video on youtube to see how to install. example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXb74IX0iAg

B2i

Return to “Tech Support”