Bible reading poll

Start a Bible study, post your favorite verse, ask questions about the Bible.

Have you ever read the Bible from cover to cover?

Yes
63%
No but am working on it now
13%
No but have made attempts
13%
No
13%

Total votes: 8
AI4FR
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Bible reading poll

Postby AI4FR » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:36 pm

Nearly everyone I have asked has told me no to the poll question. Right now I am working my way through a Life application study Bible and reading every word in it including the notes. I am begining the book of Philemon now. Most folks it seems, myself included in the past, open the bible on sunday at church and follow a few passages with the preacher and then repeat the process next sunday. I have learned recently, don't wait for things to get bad before turning to God but rather turn to him first. In short, God should be your first resort and not a last resort. Make any sense?

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: Bible reading poll

Postby Sid2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:02 am

Growing up Catholic, Bible reading was never a priority in my life.

About 25 years ago, I had a major falling out with the faith of my childhood [long story, another thread] and decided to get back to the Bible, which happens to be the title of the J. Vernon McGee radio program. . . I followed it for months, even bought the 5 volume book set and grew in my knowledge of God's word immensely.

It's hard to admit, but swordfights with JW's were a blessing to my Christian growth and Bible knowledge. They just kept coming back and I had to be able to defend my faith against their confusion. Got a copy of this book and with it in one hand and a Ryrie Study Bible in the other, I prayed and studied through both for several months and grew in my walk. [Recommend this book and study Bible heartily].

Back in '00 I finally got a PC. internet access and one of the first Christian MB's I came across was RaptureReady. Posted little, but soaked up Bible knowledge and Christian teaching and wisdom that I had never been exposed to.

This is the Reader's Digest version. . . .

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:45 pm

I read through it a couple of times while at the U.S. Air Force Academy over 30 years ago. I've tried to keep up with a good bible study plan since, but it hasn't always worked out. I switched from the Life Application Bible to the ESV Study Bible about a year ago (mainly because I wanted to get away from NIV) and use Tabletalk Magazine as a guide.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:47 pm

AI4FR wrote:Nearly everyone I have asked has told me no to the poll question. Right now I am working my way through a Life application study Bible and reading every word in it including the notes. I am begining the book of Philemon now. Most folks it seems, myself included in the past, open the bible on sunday at church and follow a few passages with the preacher and then repeat the process next sunday. I have learned recently, don't wait for things to get bad before turning to God but rather turn to him first. In short, God should be your first resort and not a last resort. Make any sense?

That makes perfect sense to me! Not that I fully practice that. I know I rely on myself too often.

Sid2 wrote:About 25 years ago, I had a major falling out with the faith of my childhood [long story, another thread] and decided to get back to the Bible, which happens to be the title of the J. Vernon McGee radio program. . . I followed it for months, even bought the 5 volume book set and grew in my knowledge of God's word immensely.

J. Vernon McGee!! A man who mentored me was a big proponent of his. I learned a ton from him.

I have read the Bible - more than once. I don't say that to be put on a pedestal. I grew up in a pastor's household. It was expected. And out on my own, I often read out of a feeling of obligation or guilt. But now, years later, there are some great times reading. I can't fully explain it, but there's peace and comfort when curled up with the Bible.

Two things I remember others say which have helped shape my reading. First, whether on your own or with a group, Bible study should be done humbly. God always has something to teach you, and He can teach you things from somebody newer in the faith than you. Secondly, as one pastor put it, God's word is like the scrubbing bubbles. Get it inside you, and it will go to work transforming and cleaning things in your life that God wants to deal with. Sometimes it's a challenge to read consistently, but having that discipline and faith will bring out the person God created you to be.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

LarryC
Novice Cruncher
Novice Cruncher

Postby LarryC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Where to start, I have word search bible software on my computer and many bible type.

I got to tell you, the Quick Study Program has help me the most and able to read from cover to cover.
Let me see if I can add a link, it has been a very long time. http://www.thestreamtv1.com/bible_discovery_tv_2_053.htm....Yea!

And the bible that really turn me on by reading and hearing, http://bible.christianpost.com/Genesis/1/.

That is my two cents for now ;)

Return to “Bible Study & Discussion”