Trivia question #2

Start a Bible study, post your favorite verse, ask questions about the Bible.
pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Trivia question #2

Postby pandelta » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:26 pm

How are the angels judged? I only know of one place in the entire bible it says, and it's rather shocking....
[Image

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trivia question #2

Postby USAFA82 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:24 pm

I remember a discussion at a church years ago but couldn't remember the reference so I had to look it up.

In 1 Cor 6:3, Paul talks about us (the Church) judging angels. "Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! "

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:38 pm

USAFA82 wrote:I remember a discussion at a church years ago but couldn't remember the reference so I had to look it up.

In 1 Cor 6:3, Paul talks about us (the Church) judging angels. "Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! "

That's the one! I always found it shocking that we judged the angels.
[Image

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Some folks have interpreted it in different ways. I'll have to do more study on it, which is always a good thing. :)

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:04 pm

USAFA82 wrote:Some folks have interpreted it in different ways. I'll have to do more study on it, which is always a good thing. :)

Good or evil is set already if I am remembering right, they were given a choice and I don’t think they can choose anymore, salvation isn't for them. 1/3 choose to follow satan and 2/3 stayed with God. So I have always taken it to do with rewards; we decide what they get or something. Remember also it says we will be kings and priest, can’t be kings over each other so I have always thought we would be kings over angels or something. At least that’s my theory. They are "innumerable" so they are far more of them than us also, we have a number on how many stars there are (in the known universe), my theory is there are more angels then stars then. Trillions up trillions.
[Image

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Maybe we're judges like a game show. :icon_confused:

Which angel sings the Best.
Which angel dances the Best. :shock:

Sorry I couldn't resist. :icon_redface:

NAP2614
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby NAP2614 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Greeting All,
I do not wish to intrude, but If I may, would like to share a thought from many years ago.

They are not partners in their Lord's commission, but they have the honour to sit by, and see his proceeding against the wicked world, and approve it. Others understand this judging of the world to be meant when the empire should become Christian. But it does not appear that the Corinthians had knowledge of the empire's becoming Christian; and, if they had, in what sense could Christian emperors be said to judge angels? Others understand it of their condemning the world by their faith and practice, and casting out evil angels by miraculous power, which was not confined to the first ages, nor to the apostles. The first sense seems to be most natural; and at the same time it gives the utmost force to the argument. ldblquote Shall Christians have the honour to sit with the sovereign Judge at the last day, whilst he passes judgment on sinful men and evil angels, and are they not worthy to judge of the trifles about which you contend before heathen magistrates? Cannot they make up your mutual differences? Why must you bring them before heathen judges? When you are to judge them, as it fit to appeal to their judicature? Must you, about i1 the affairs of this life, set those to judge who are of no esteem in the church?i0 dblquote (so some read, and perhaps most properly, {cf11ul 1 Corinthians
Cheers

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:53 pm

NAP2614 wrote:Greeting All,
I do not wish to intrude, but If I may, would like to share a thought from many years ago.

They are not partners in their Lord's commission, but they have the honour to sit by, and see his proceeding against the wicked world, and approve it. Others understand this judging of the world to be meant when the empire should become Christian. But it does not appear that the Corinthians had knowledge of the empire's becoming Christian; and, if they had, in what sense could Christian emperors be said to judge angels? Others understand it of their condemning the world by their faith and practice, and casting out evil angels by miraculous power, which was not confined to the first ages, nor to the apostles. The first sense seems to be most natural; and at the same time it gives the utmost force to the argument. ldblquote Shall Christians have the honour to sit with the sovereign Judge at the last day, whilst he passes judgment on sinful men and evil angels, and are they not worthy to judge of the trifles about which you contend before heathen magistrates? Cannot they make up your mutual differences? Why must you bring them before heathen judges? When you are to judge them, as it fit to appeal to their judicature? Must you, about i1 the affairs of this life, set those to judge who are of no esteem in the church?i0 dblquote (so some read, and perhaps most properly, {cf11ul 1 Corinthians
Cheers

I have never thought it to mean to judge evil angels. Only God has a right to judge if one is right or wrong or good or evil. That's why I have always looked at it as judging in a rewarding sense. It says angels are tasked to watch over us, are messengers etc. The term "guardian angel" never appears in the bible, but one verse does give that essential sense of it. (BTW, that same verse is always plural---thus we don’t have one guardian angel, we have many). I figured it was for us to reward or decide what they get for service to us, on behalf of Him. The bible wasn't written for the elite or the well-educated, it was made for the babes who come to him, meaning it was made for the simple of heart and mind. I usually find the simples answer the one He intended. If you asked 100 kids what that verses means, I bet all of them would say we judge angels. How or for what? That is up to the one who gives that right, not us. Someday we will find out, until then. It’s always interesting to discuss as are some many other things we can’t completely understand. Just my 2 cents worth.
[Image

NAP2614
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby NAP2614 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:20 pm

By judging the world and angels, some think, is to be understood, their being assessors to Christ in the great judgment-day; it being said of our Saviour’s disciples that they should at that day sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel, Matt. 19:28. And elsewhere we read of our Lord’s coming with ten thousand of his saints to execute judgment on all, etc., Jude 1:14, 15. He will come to judgment with all his saints, 1 Thess. 3:13. They themselves are indeed to be judged (see Matt. 25:31-41), but they may first be acquitted, and then advanced to the bench, to approve and applaud the righteous judgment of Christ both on men and angels. In no other sense can they be judges. They are not partners in their Lord’s commission, but they have the honour to sit by, and see his proceeding against the wicked world, and approve it. Others understand this judging of the world to be meant when the empire should become Christian. But it does not appear that the Corinthians had knowledge of the empire’s becoming Christian; and, if they had, in what sense could Christian emperors be said to judge angels? Others understand it of their condemning the world by their faith and practice, and casting out evil angels by miraculous power, which was not confined to the first ages, nor to the apostles. The first sense seems to be most natural; and at the same time it gives the utmost force to the argument. “Shall Christians have the honour to sit with the sovereign Judge at the last day, whilst he passes judgment on sinful men and evil angels, and are they not worthy to judge of the trifles about which you contend before heathen magistrates?

This is very interesting, can we have more Christians insert their ideas here?

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Here's some info I pulled from various sites after doing some searching:
“Judge angels”: The Greek word can mean “rule or govern.” Since the Lord Himself will judge fallen angels (2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6), it is likely this means we will have some rule in eternity over holy angels.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
Know ye not that we shall judge angels,.... Meaning not the ministers of the Gospel, and pastors of churches, called "angels", Revelation 1:20 whose doctrines are examined, tried, and judged by the saints, according to the word of God; nor the good angels, who, were it possible that they could, or should publish a Gospel contrary to what has been preached by the apostle, would be contradicted, condemned, and accursed by him, see Galatians 1:8 but the evil angels, the devil and his angels: and this is to be understood not of their future final judgment and condemnation at the last day, when saints will subscribe unto, and approve of the sentence pronounced upon them, and will triumph over them in their destruction; but of the judgment of them, and of their ejection out of the Gentile world, out of their oracles, idols, and idol temples, to which Christ refers, John 12:31 and calls the judgment of this world, and the casting out of the prince of it by the ministry of his apostles; and which was now already begun, and ere long would be fully accomplished: accordingly the Syriac version renders it, "know ye not , that we are about to judge angels?" and the Arabic, "know ye not that we judge angels?" from whence the apostle infers very justly,

how much more things that pertain to this life? this animal life; to the trade and business of life; to pecuniary matters, to estates and possessions in this world, about which differences may arise between one saint and another.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible
Shall judge angels - All the angels that shall be judged, good or bad. Probably the reference is to fallen angels, as there is no account that holy angels will then undergo a trial. The sense is, "Christians will be qualified to see the justice of even the sentence which is pronounced on fallen angels. They will be able so to embrace and comprehend the nature of law, and the interests of justice, as to see the propriety of their condemnation. And if they can so far enter into these important and eternal relations, assuredly they ought to be regarded as qualified to discern the nature of justice 'among men,' and to settle the unimportant differences which may arise in the church." Or, perhaps, this may mean that the saints shall in the future world be raised to a rank in some respects more elevated than even the angels in heaven. (Prof. Stuart.) In what respects they will be thus elevated, if this is the true interpretation, can be only a matter of conjecture. It may be supposed that it will be because they have been favored by being interested in the plan of salvation - a plan that has done so much to honor God; and that "to have been" thus saved by the "immediate and painful" intervention of the Son of God, will be a higher honor than all the privileges which beings can enjoy who are innocent themselves.

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
Know ye not that we shall judge angels? - Dr. Lightfoot observes that "the apostle does not say here, as he said before, the saints shall judge the angels, but We shall judge them. By angels, all confess that demons are intended; but certainly all saints, according to the latitude with which that word is understood, i.e. all who profess Christianity, shall not judge angels. Nor is this judging of angels to be understood of the last day; but the apostle speaks of the ministers of the Gospel, himself and others, who, by the preaching of the Gospel, through the power of Christ, should spoil the devils of their oracles and their idols, should deprive them of their worship, should drive them out of their seats, and strip them of their dominion. Thus would God subdue the whole world under the Christian power, so that Christian magistrates should judge men, and Christian ministers judge devils."

I guess I would lump this under my "pan-theology".... it'll all pan out in the end :icon_cheesygrin:

Return to “Bible Study & Discussion”