30 Days of Thankfulness

Start a Bible study, post your favorite verse, ask questions about the Bible.
Sunder
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

30 Days of Thankfulness

Postby Sunder » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:42 pm

My church minister just encouraged the congregation to spend 30 days of thankfulness, which I think is a great idea. I had a friend, a counsellor of troubled youth tell me one time that I'd be a happier person if rather than praying so much on my troubles, I prayed on what I had to be thankful for. Sage advice, which I probably took up to a very limited degree, so I've decided to do it now.

The aim was to think of one thing each day that you're thankful for, and spend some time thanking God for it. I decided that where practical each day I would do something about it as well.

Day 1, I thanked God for friends, and started calling around a few of my closest and arranged coffees. I'll tell them then how thankful I am for them

Day 2, I thanked God for my bible study (Connect) group, who have been a real encouragement to me. That's today. We're having an end of year BBQ tonight, and I will let them know of my thankfulness.

So what are you thankful for?

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 30 Days of Thankfulness

Postby USAFA82 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:55 pm

I've seen a few friends on Facebook do the 30 days of Thankfulness. They did it in November since that's when the U.S. celebrates Thanksgiving on the fourth Thursday of the month. I'm thankful for my family.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:52 pm

I like your first two, especially your idea of inviting your friends to meet up. And the year end BBQ always makes me chuckle - around here that means somebody stationed by the back patio door in a heavy coat dashing outside to tend the meat every so often.

I'll try to frequently chime in on this one. But for starters, I'm thankful for this team and forum where people all across the globe can share interests, beliefs, and parts of our lives. :D Even if I never meet any of you guys on earth, I hope we recognize each other in heaven. "You're that crazy guy from farmland, USA. Hey, I crunched WCG with you!"
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:41 am

I'm thankful for my wife. I've been married a relatively short time, and man there are many times it's not easy. It's totally different from being single and on my own. There's nothing like marriage to point out my own selfishness. It was easy to be on my own and think I had it pretty well together. Then I spend days next to somebody and quickly learn my rough spots. That's hardly what I'd call fun. But God teaches, and God works on our hearts. I'm thankful for the whole thing, good and bad, easy and difficult, and a woman that will go through it with me.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:21 am

I am thankful for my job. God has kept me employed through this entire downturn. And even now, as there are some uncertainties heading into the new year, I know God has His hand on the situation. There is peace in my life while many coworkers are anxious about the future. God is bigger than any job. He provided this one, He can certainly provide another in His time or keep me here. It's a freeing feeling, and I am so thankful to God for yet another way He shows His care.

Sunder
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

Postby Sunder » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:24 pm

It's actually summer here, the best time for a BBQ - Although it has been raining heavily the last few days, so your picture isn't too wrong!

I am thankful for my wife as well. I met up with one of the friends from my first thankfulness day last night, and he got married a year after me. He's reminded me of how wonderful marriage is, because I think after a while, we just take things for granted.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:50 am

That's a really good point! It's easy to take things for granted - especially over time. And then as I do, I look at what I think isn't there. Boo on me.

My thankfulness today comes from a funny story which just happened to me over the past 36 hours. We were with our small group on Wednesday night and discussing something fun to do at the end of the year. The suggestion came up that we go to a local restaurant. Almost immediately, sinful, selfish me thinks, "I'm not a fan of that place. It's overpriced for what you get." I did refrain from saying anything and just let the decision be made. Fast forward to Thursday afternoon where I'm checking the daily mail. What should appear in the stack of mail, but a little postcard from that restaurant with a $10 gift card. (And this restaurant hardly ever sends out any sort of coupon or promotion!) I had to laugh at what a goofball I am. I'm thankful for a God who loves to use situations to teach us things in creative and humorous ways.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:50 am

On the topic of old friends, over the weekend I had a friend I'd known since I was 6 years old come visit. I hadn't seen him in close to 10 years. We'd split ways a little bit - I think our ideas of fun diverged a bit in our 20s. So it was fun to see him and his new family, and see that he seems to be in a good spot in life and with Christ.

Sunder
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

Postby Sunder » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:31 am

That's awesome. When I say that friends were left behind because our ideas of fun were different, it's almost invariably because I wasn't into the drinking - and in some cases - drug scene.

When I first became a Christian, I heard a series of sermons saying how we shouldn't be getting rid of our non-Christian friends. At the time, I never really understood why anyone would... Over the next 5-10 years or so though, some became Christians, and others faded away, mainly for the reason I listed above. So now I actually do have only a handful of non-Christian friends

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:26 am

It is a tough thing. I think there's a balance to be struck, at least for me. I think we need to be out shining Christ's light, or else how will they know if nobody tells them? At the same time, it's easy (for me) to be caught up in the lifestyles presented. I know better but it's tough to see people living selfishly and think, "Why not? They seem to have fun, have nice things, have a good job, etc." But an eternal perspective helps in many ways!

Today, I'm thankful for eyesight! I was recently at the eye doctor and it really struck me how complex the eye is, yet we don't even think about it. Our eyes quickly focus, tell us all sorts of information, let us see some incredible things. I've known a couple people who have lost vision, and I just cannot fathom life that way. And even for them, I know one day they will see again!

Return to “Bible Study & Discussion”