32/64 CPU Cores coming to desktops this year

Talk about anything technology related!
pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

32/64 CPU Cores coming to desktops this year

Postby pandelta » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:24 pm

The core count wars continue. AMD will be introducing a 32 core/64 thread single physical processor that will work in existing TR4 socket X399 motherboards later this year. That is 64 CPU tasks running on a desktop processor, not a server CPU (though essentially it is a server CPU being rebadged into a desktop one). More info below.

I think I may have to start thinking about upgrading my lonely 8 core processors. Given its rumored to be a 250W processor but still, its 8 times as many threads as my current two desktop computers! That is well worth the power increase.

https://techreport.com/news/33830/rumor ... pper-2990x

https://techreport.com/news/33764/secon ... 64-threads
[Image

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 32/64 CPU Cores coming to desktops this year

Postby USAFA82 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:42 am

It's exciting to see the developments. I'm glad that AMD has become competitive against Intel. I'm an Intel fan but competition ups everyone's game and produces better chips. I keep promising myself that I'll build a new system. I'm still running off the same first-generation Core i7 I built in 2009, although I've added RAM, upgraded to a SSD, and upgraded the video card. It's still a great computer that is much faster than most of my customer's newer computers. There's a forum thread on here from 2009 that has the original specs.

AMD's Ryzen chip has been tempting me but I've held off to see what else is coming down the road. That and my current computer still runs well.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:47 pm

I hear you. I keep debating on whether or not to just reinstall the OS and upgrade the GPU and let it go for a few more years. Ivy Bridge is still a great chip and there is nothing wrong it other than it could use a reinstall and maybe OS upgrade. I installed the OS in 2013. lol

Those 64 thread chips would sure boost point and time production but they are also likely to run in the $1500 range and the memory prices are sky high right now.
[Image

littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby littlepeaks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:07 pm

Nice to see a fresh post in these forums. I wonder if that 32-core processor will present significant cooling problems. I am now holding my PC down to 1 WU at a time, due to cooling issues (I have my PC set to restrict the max temp to 80 degrees. Yes, I clean out my PC regularly). With more than 1 WU unit, when I play some flash games with lots of motion, it sometimes pushes the temp over the limit.
Posted from my garage-door opener.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:38 pm

I have a similar situation with a laptop. I think i burnt it up. It works fine for everday use but it can't crunch anything at all or it will crash. I even replaced the cpu cooler and it didn't help. You can try taking cooler off and putting new paste on but it sounds worse than my situation.

I will be surprised if the 32 core processor isn't water cooled only.
[Image

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:11 pm

The crunching on my main computer is on summer hiatus :)
I burnt up my old laptop due to crunching. I replaced the heat sink and fan and was able to get it working again. My wife uses it now. After that ordeal, I stopped using laptops to crunch.

Return to “Technology News & Discussion”