What is your favorite non-WCG CPU BOINC project?

Discuss BOINC in general and other projects
Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby Sid2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 am

Mine is SIMAP.

Well-run, relevant and real science.

. . . a BOINC Tri-Fecta!

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Re: What is your favorite non-WCG CPU BOINC project?

Postby Col323 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:31 pm

I liked that one as well, although I have not run it in years. One thing I really liked when I ran it was when they would release a new batch each month. The batch might last a week or so before the work dried up. For a week you'd divert your CPU power to SIMAP as everybody tore through the work. Then rinse, repeat for the next month. Is it still like that now, or is there a steadier stream of work available?

I like Rosetta@Home for their science. It's a protein folding project and they do work related to cancer and Alzheimer's. They also participate in the CASP experiments where different groups utilize and compare their methods of protein folding prediction. They usually do pretty well.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby Sid2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Col323 wrote:I liked that one as well, although I have not run it in years. One thing I really liked when I ran it was when they would release a new batch each month. The batch might last a week or so before the work dried up. For a week you'd divert your CPU power to SIMAP as everybody tore through the work. Then rinse, repeat for the next month. Is it still like that now, or is there a steadier stream of work available?

The SIMAP Scrambles are a thing of the past. . . apparently SIMAP has taken on so much other work that it has lately been a production project.

. . . the competition, excitement, tactics and hmmers [rare WU's that appreciated running in Linux64] are a memory, but the underlying value of the project remains.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:58 am

Simap scrambles! :mrgreen: I had forgotten the term. Thanks for that! That's great to hear they have steady work now, they must really have a lot going on.

There are many worthwhile projects out there, and honestly, I've hardly ventured away from WCG. The variety of projects within it has kept my interest. Plus, HCC and HFCC are close to my heart. So being able to contribute to those motivates me. But I would love to be able to dedicate more time to other projects and their worthwhile goals. But I think beyond me finding a way to expand my crunching capacity, I wish I could find a way for DCing to become more than a niche concept/hobby. I mean, I live in a city of roughly a million people. If an average household is 4 people (pulling that out of thin air), and each household simply turned in 1 WCG result per day, it would boost the grid's output by over 10%. Now, consider all the offices, schools, etc. There's so much untapped power out there it boggles my mind. Harnessing just a small percentage of it would make a big impact.

On the plus side, technology keeps advancing which allows us to hit more things. I'm thankful for all you guys who run multiple boxen and even stuff multiple GPUs in a box for more crunching powah!

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:35 am

Col323 wrote: I'm thankful for all you guys who run multiple boxen and even stuff multiple GPUs in a box for more crunching powah!

It's a sickness I tell ya. :icon_cry2:

Maybe I can get Obama to pay for my Meds. :icon_cheesygrin: I need more computers. :icon_surprised:

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 pm

pecosriverm wrote:
Col323 wrote: I'm thankful for all you guys who run multiple boxen and even stuff multiple GPUs in a box for more crunching powah!

It's a sickness I tell ya. :icon_cry2:

Maybe I can get Obama to pay for my Meds. :icon_cheesygrin: I need more computers. :icon_surprised:

i'm definitely addicted to it! If I had the money I would build a datacenter just to crunch. I am constantly trying to find ways to squeeze one more WU out of each machine... lol

I like Rosetta and Docking but haven't done them since summer. Gave up Einstein for WCG. I do GPUGrid randomly whenever I need the heat... lol but I'm with Col323 HCC and HFCC are primary because I have known way too many people die from cancer. Nows its all GPU HCC till I can build another machine.
[Image

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby Sid2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:08 am

pecosriverm wrote:It's a sickness I tell ya. :icon_cry2:

I look it as contributing to humanitarian causes, a reason to have entirely too many computers, bubblegum for the mind and cheaper than golf.

That pretty much tags it.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:55 am

Sid2 wrote:bubblegum for the mind and cheaper than golf.

I like that! I may have to use that sometime. :mrgreen:

I've been experimenting with another Boinc project which barely uses any CPU at all. WUProp@Home is kind of a meta-project. When you run a WUProp work unit, it will run for 3 hours and capture information about any running Boinc units you have at that time. It helps build a database of projects and runtimes which you can mine in all sorts of ways. (You may have to mouse over the blue vertical "Le Menu" bar.)

I know I said "runs for 3 hours", but the most actual CPU time I've seen in those 3 hours has been 24 seconds (or 0.22% CPU usage), and I've seen as little as 0.30 seconds (0.00278% CPU). Each WU only scores 7 points, so you're not going to become a millionaire overnight. But everybody is on the same playing field, and every machine counts the same. Since one WU captures all necessary information about all your Boinc tasks, the project will only run 1 WU at a time. There's no running 20 tasks at a time. So, your entry in this thread can go toe to toe with the fastest machines out there.

And if you do fire it up, be sure to join the team! There are two of us so far -rank 345 and climbing.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 am

Col323 wrote:
Sid2 wrote:bubblegum for the mind and cheaper than golf.

WUProp@Home

Numbers!!!! You know you are feeding my sickness.....This is really nice, you can compare different processors/graphics cards etc and see how long they run each project. I really like this! I may have to add this project.
[Image

Return to “General BOINC Discussion and Other Projects”