Distributed Rainbow Table Generator

Discuss BOINC in general and other projects
nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Re: Distributed Rainbow Table Generator

Postby nanoprobe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:28 pm

B2I wrote:Rainbow table generator seems too close to aiding and abetting hackers for my comfort. I'd probably go bitcoin and donate it to a sound chariy before going there. Hmmm, wonder if any Christian charity would be interested in bitcoins......

They might be as pure as the driven snow, but the premise of cracking hash for the good of mankind is a little hard for me to get my head around.

I understand where you're coming from. I doubt I'll ever be a big contributor there as long as WCG has GPU tasks but I wanted to run a few tasks to see how they ran on my equipment. Will probably concentrate on POEM when WCG is done. I looked at Bitcoin mining years ago but never got around to trying it. I always heard stories that is was being used, because of anonymity, to support all kinds of illegal activity, even terrorism. Don't know that to be true or not.

@AI4FR- Thanks for the tips and links.

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

AI4FR
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby AI4FR » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:17 pm

B2I wrote:Rainbow table generator seems too close to aiding and abetting hackers for my comfort. I'd probably go bitcoin and donate it to a sound chariy before going there. Hmmm, wonder if any Christian charity would be interested in bitcoins......

They might be as pure as the driven snow, but the premise of cracking hash for the good of mankind is a little hard for me to get my head around.

If there is even the slightest issue with having DiRT as a project for the Christian team then I will attempt to yank it if possible or no longer crunch it for the team. I am about to hit a silly goal and will be soon crunching less there anyways so it is not an issue for me.

Speaking of bitcoin mining, the team is not running the project Donate@home which donates the funds from bitcoin mining to medical research. Since it is your idea, why not start that project for the team?

B2I
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby B2I » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Might consider after the HCC GPU WUs finish. Right now I'm pretty excited that with the addition of some new members, our team has a chance of making it to the 25th world wide spot in rank before the GPU WUs run out.

AI4FR
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby AI4FR » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:26 pm

I’m thankful to all crunchers, big and small, and even those that just do an occasional WU for whatever project they choose to crunch for the team. The team as a WHOLE is made up of many project and is in 134th place. I just learned a little bit ago from Col323 that HCC is about out of work so let us know when/if you start up Donate@home for the team so we can join there as well.

B2I
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby B2I » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:37 pm

Check and Rodge on being thankful for all contributors -- big and small. Reference Mark 12:41-43. Gift of the Widow.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Good reference. I never thought of it like that, but absolutely!
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

AI4FR wrote:

If there is even the slightest issue with having DiRT as a project for the Christian team then I will attempt to yank it if possible or no longer crunch it for the team. I am about to hit a silly goal and will be soon crunching less there anyways so it is not an issue for me.

Speaking of bitcoin mining, the team is not running the project Donate@home which donates the funds from bitcoin mining to medical research. Since it is your idea, why not start that project for the team?

I for one don't have a issue with DiRT for the Team. I think B2I and myself are not sure that the published results are "Only" use by Companies and not afew of the "Hacker"community. I don't know that it happens nor do I know it doesn't.
I'd say it's my 2cents but with Obama it's probably .001 cents.
When I ran bitcoin it takes alot of your system (couldn't run it on my main system and still use it).
It's been 1-2yrs ago and things might have changed since then.

Return to “General BOINC Discussion and Other Projects”