POEM@HOME

Discuss BOINC in general and other projects
AI4FR
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

POEM@HOME

Postby AI4FR » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Any team members crunching there with Nvidia gpu's? I am having a very difficult time getting any gpu WU's. I received a few a couple of months back when I started there but nothing since. I read some old posts there on their message board about this issue but it appears to be fixed. Searching the stats, I found at least one other cruncher getting nvidia wu's so it appears as though it is fixed. My machine requests wu's but the same message appears, no work available.

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: POEM@HOME

Postby USAFA82 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:51 pm

I'm not participating in POEM, so I'm not much help, but you'd think there would be some chatter on the forum if there was a widespread problem.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:10 am

Hey, not to worry, Poem is just spotty with GPU work availability. It does have work for NVidia and ATI/AMD via OpenCL. I just don't think their servers can keep up with demand. Check out this thread for more complaints.

I usually set Poem as a backup to WCG. Every once in a while I'll get a big batch of work, but for the most part, the well is dry. At some point, they may be able to satisfy demand, but I'm not holding my breath.

This spreadsheet is relatively updated with ways you can use your GPUs. Anything CUDA is NVidia only. Anything CAL is ATI/AMD only. And OpenCL is for both, but it may favor one or the other depending on the project.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:31 am

I don't keep up to speed much @POEM. I think they are waiting on a new server to be purchased and installed.

Like Col323 said. work is off and on for the time being.

After HCC GPU is done here I'll be over there trying to fill my cache also.

AI4FR
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby AI4FR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks!!

At the moment I am crunching 75% SETI and 25% WCG on the cpu's.

For the gpu's, I crunch mostly DiRT until they make a change(which I expect at any time). But, I go down my list of projects and grab gpu work from a different one each day. I run through these wu's and start all over again the next day. Usually I get just a few hours worth of work which works out perfect. POEM is the one I am having trouble with though.

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Just switched teams. I don't run POEM much any more but I will return in force when the WCG GPU app finishes unless WCG comes up with another GPU project.

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Brilliant! I just noticed I was bumped to 4th - not that I had any sort of stranglehold on the team podium. :mrgreen: The team is hovering in the mid 60s. With all the GPUs around here, we could really do some damage when the HCC work dries up. And thanks to your part time input today, we're outproducing 17 of the next 20 teams ahead of us.

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Tue May 21, 2013 7:31 am

Nano are you running a config app on Poem?
Just trying to figure out How your getting so much work done.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:28 am

I was surprised to find about 20 Poem units in my queue this morning. Normally when I've had some, I'm lucky to get 4. So that prompted me to check the stats. Wow, you guys are putting in work! Obviously led by nanoprobe, but there are a couple other new faces really cranking as well. AS_Angel_Pat is hot on my heels and closing fast, while Robert LaRue joined less than a week ago and is knocking on the door of the Top 10.

Pecos, I found I was able to set my app_config.xml to be the same as I set for WCG.

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Thu May 23, 2013 11:43 am

I might try it on one system. I don't want it to idle empty tho.

I've notice they are coming in spurts. I'll get some(4-10) then nothing for hours.
I was playing with cache on my day off. Set it to 4 dys and kept updating. I had 12 hrs work at one point.

Return to “General BOINC Discussion and Other Projects”