Its lonely over here.....

GPUGRID.net is a volunteer distributed computing project for biomedical research from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona (Spain). GPUGRID is made of many graphics cards (GPUs) joined together to deliver high-performance all-atom biomolecular simulations. The molecular simulations performed by our volunteers are some of the most common types performed by scientists in the field, but they are also some of the most computationally demanding and usually require a supercomputer.
http://www.gpugrid.net/
pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Its lonely over here.....

Postby pandelta » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:52 am

How come no one does GPUGrid anymore? I don't do it all the time, but randomly, I was just wondering why its been abandoned? Not that I don't like 100% of the pie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[Image

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Re: Its lonely over here.....

Postby pecosriverm » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:18 pm

How did you manage that. I've still got my 560Ti doing GPUGrid.

It must have been the one day I didn't return a result (they take ~19hrs ea)

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:26 pm

I do need a faster card.
Your WU times are ~40k sec vs my ~70k sec.

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 pm

I stopped because it seemed like the WUs were taking forever and I kept having to snooze BOINC whenever I wanted to play a game. That was before I altered the code to automatically pause BOINC when certain games were going to be played.

I stopped BOINC completely on my main computer and actually shut it down at night now. I'm experimenting to see what kind of electricity savings I'll see. Comparing year to year, it looks like about $28 savings in December. I also have the heat turned down a little compared to last year, so that's part of the savings. The next utility reading is sometime next week, so I'll decide then whether or not to fire it back up.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:19 pm

pecosriverm wrote:I do need a faster card.
Your WU times are ~40k sec vs my ~70k sec.

Thats a big difference, mine usually run 10.5 hours. I like to run them at night, cause I can't play games on it when its running. I don't run it all the time because I lose 200 WUs/day in HCC. 4 cores just isn't enough...plus its almost 200 watts more to run the GTX 670 for it.
Last edited by pandelta on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Image

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:26 pm

USAFA82 wrote:I stopped because it seemed like the WUs were taking forever and I kept having to snooze BOINC whenever I wanted to play a game. That was before I altered the code to automatically pause BOINC when certain games were going to be played.

I stopped BOINC completely on my main computer and actually shut it down at night now. I'm experimenting to see what kind of electricity savings I'll see. Comparing year to year, it looks like about $28 savings in December. I also have the heat turned down a little compared to last year, so that's part of the savings. The next utility reading is sometime next week, so I'll decide then whether or not to fire it back up.

I stopped for the same reason. It used to take less than 8 hours for 90k then they switched to something that takes much longer and takes 1/2 hour to upload a 140MB file. Now its taking 10.5 hours for 135k.

I got me one of these power meters. I have seen them cheaper else where if you look around. Be careful though, they will cause watt shock when you see how much your system is pulling. My GTX670/HD7970/4 core ivy was pulling 550Watts under full load on top of the FX/Hd7770 pulling 210 Watts which translates to $1.83/day here at our rates. Thats why i'm not running GPUGrid all the time...saves me almost 200 watts.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882715001

Nice little gizmo to check around the house too. I found an old stereo that we wasn't using anymore. it was pulling 10 watts while it was shut off!
Last edited by pandelta on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Image

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:28 pm

pecosriverm wrote:How did you manage that. I've still got my 560Ti doing GPUGrid.

It must have been the one day I didn't return a result (they take ~19hrs ea)

It was today actually. you probably just haven't finished one yet.
[Image

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 pm

pandelta wrote:I got me one of these power meters. I have seen them cheaper else where if you look around. Be careful though, they will cause watt shock when you see how much your system is pulling. My GTX670/HD7970/4 core ivy was pulling 550Watts under full load on top of the FX/Hd7770 pulling 210 Watts which translates to $1.83/day here at our rates. Thats why i'm not running GPUGrid all the time...saves me almost 200 watts.

I don't want to know How much juice I'm using.

It's probably $100-$150/month

@.10/Kwh

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:55 pm

pecosriverm wrote:
pandelta wrote:I got me one of these power meters. I have seen them cheaper else where if you look around. Be careful though, they will cause watt shock when you see how much your system is pulling. My GTX670/HD7970/4 core ivy was pulling 550Watts under full load on top of the FX/Hd7770 pulling 210 Watts which translates to $1.83/day here at our rates. Thats why i'm not running GPUGrid all the time...saves me almost 200 watts.

I don't want to know How much juice I'm using.

It's probably $100-$150/month

@.10/Kwh

Good grief how many machines and cards you running?
[Image

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:50 am

pandelta wrote:Good grief how many machines and cards you running?

Let's see 9 systems total and 8 cards. The older ones are the killers. :icon_rolleyes:

Return to “GPUGRID”