Top 10 for Teams!

GPUGRID.net is a volunteer distributed computing project for biomedical research from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona (Spain). GPUGRID is made of many graphics cards (GPUs) joined together to deliver high-performance all-atom biomolecular simulations. The molecular simulations performed by our volunteers are some of the most common types performed by scientists in the field, but they are also some of the most computationally demanding and usually require a supercomputer.
http://www.gpugrid.net/
BiblePreacher
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

Top 10 for Teams!

Postby BiblePreacher » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:33 am

As of this morning we are in the top 10 at #10 for recent average credit! We have been floating between 20 and 16 for months and now 10! Let this be a push to now keep the name of Christ before the eyes of stats watchers and be a testimony for Christ in hunting down cures and treatments this world needs for its physical ills so He can cure more spiritual ones.

Merry Christmas brothers and sisters!

https://www.gpugrid.net/volunteers.php
Mike
1 Corinthians 9:16 + Ephesians 6:18-20

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Top 10 for Teams!

Postby USAFA82 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Excellent! I wish I could participate :(

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Awesome job!!!!
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

BiblePreacher
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

Postby BiblePreacher » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:09 pm

Since Christmas we went back and forth from 11th to 7th for a few days and now seem consistent at 5th!!! :icon_exclaim:

We actually went down some when nano went to the Gridcoin team, but in the past few days Andro has been adding more. Gridcoin has a great appeal to it based on a financial gain back for doing the CPU/GPU work on BOINC, but its not for me. Either way, thanks Andro. I think your work is what solidifies our 5th place and the rest of the work done for the team just gets us in that range to be on the front page of the GPUGRID stats. With nano or a few more, we could make a run for trading 4th and 5th, but being consistent on the front page in any place is a good testimony that we as Christians can "out care" and "out work" many whole countries and major computer groups dedicated to distributed computing like; ARS Technica, AMD and NVIDIA and EVGA users teams, HP, France, Xtreme Systems, SETI Germany, MIT, 2ch, BOINCStats, BOINC Synergy, The Knights Who Say Ni!, and many others.

Great Job, God's Speed, and Keep Crunching!
Mike

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:55 am

Thanks for the update! I would love to join in, but all my power is in CPU form. I love the work you are doing here though. Keep it up!
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

BiblePreacher
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

Postby BiblePreacher » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:40 am

All this time has passed and we are still in the top 10 for teams. I am still struggling to get all 4 pcs up and running consistently and have 2 that I consider at that status, 1 on and off, and one still down. If I can get all 4 up and the work units don't get too long (for the new 10 series GTX cards) that they cannot be completed on the weaker systems like my laptop and the 770 system, I can have 6 systems running the GPUGRID tasks 24/7 and put us about 5 consistently. Currently we go back and forth from 9 to 5 depending on the day or week or state of my machines. Either way, as stated before, seeing our name up there when clicking on the volunteers page of the project is a great testimony. And when the CUDA8 SDK comes out for the GTX series 10 cards which will be much more power efficient, cooler, less expensive, and much more powerful than any other graphics cards on the market, GPUGRID may come back into the limelight for crunchers hopefully here again and we can shoot into top 5 for a staying power there. Chack into these new cards and keep up with the forums over at the project on when the app will be written with the CUDA8 SDK release (which is totally on NVIDIA's timeline, not GPUGRID unfortunately.) When I see it happen, I will drop a line here too.
Mike

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:43 pm

Are you caffeineyellow5? I couldn't find BiblePreacher anywhere. If so, that is quite a load you are carrying all by yourself!

Right now I have almost all AMD cards (which run POAM@Home during the winter) and only a single old Geforce card. So I couldn't add much and with the heat wave I won't be firing anything up until it cools off (its still in the 90s here). I have to run a separate AC unit just for CPU task...electric company loves me! :) I have tried to cut back this summer and its a good thing as its been a really hot one! I am interested in upgrading the GeForce card towards the end of the year so keep us posted!
[Image

BiblePreacher
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

Postby BiblePreacher » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:23 am

Yes, I am caffeineyellow5

It is still in the 90s here also. I only have the 3 systems running, then a laptop and a cheap old card that runs a task for 3-4 days and times some of them out before the 5 day report period. I try to keep an eye on that one to make sure it gets the shorter running tasks because there are a few batches that are really long running and I know it won't finish them. The one system has 3 980TI Classified cards in it and has done more than half the work completed for the project. The other 2 have 2 980 cards and only the one is consistently up without problems. The second is between problems on a regular basis (I am actually at it now trying to fix a windows update reboot loop it ran into overnight.) There is another (Skywalker)(lol) that is more in between repairs than it is up over the past 12 months. It has a 980 and a 980TI in it. I don't spend much time fixing them lately because of the cancers and chemotherapy that have me in bed most of the time, but I am looking at a surgery in the next few weeks to remove this current tumor and maybe I will be more back on the ball after that again. If I can get them all up and running without problems, I can see an avg of around 5,500,000 to 6,200,000 a day like I had back when they were all running well for that short time. Right now I am forcing 3,500,000 out of what I have and just got that up from 2,800,000 recently. I was actually looking to push 3.5T in credit by the 2017 new year, but I think I will be around 2.75T for the project.

As far as heat goes, the one is at my church running the sound booth. This is the one that is ran into the reboot loop AND WE HAVE A WEDDING TODAY! That is why I am here fixing it. The one that is up and running well needs to come here to run music into the halls and bathrooms, but there is a speaker pin broke off and stuck in the speaker jack, so I need to get that out. Windows seems to have a problem not seeing it and allowing a front side speaker plugged in unless that thing comes out. I got a USB sound card in case I cannot get that out. Apparently I get one try at it with a cut q-tip and super glue. I either get it out first try or it stays in glued there. :-( It stays in a room that nobody uses and the AC is cut off to that room. I keep the windows cracked just for the air release and the occasional breeze that might blow some of the air out, plus nighttime air is cooler. The third that has been down is supposed to be the new office PC for the church's asst pastor, but he is still using the 2003 server instead. It runs so slow and hot as it is actually in a 3 rack unit Supermicro server is a small non-air-conditioned room. The big guy, which I named Beastmode, before I ever heard of the poker player or the football player (which I heard through hearing about the poker player) is in my basement and I access it through TeamViewer constantly through my laptop in my room. It runs way to hot to keep in any room in the house, but the basement is open and cool. This is the only one that hasn't run into any problems except when I tried the Windows 10 upgrade and it is went into a reboot loop that it never recovered from. It is back on Windows 8.1 from a complete reinstall from scratch.

Between the computers, the central air, and the heated pool I had put in the back yard, our electric company loves us too to the tune of $800 a month some months and over $550 at all times. At least in the summer months the pool can be turned all the way to 50 degrees and never run the heater and stay 80 degrees, so that offsets the AC a bit. It is an Endless Pool I got to get some exercise to recover from the cancers (until I got these 2 recent ones and haven'[t had the energy to even go out there), but like I said, that should change with the surgery as long as the chemo I got works to stave away future tumors for a few years, which we are hoping it will. Last time I got any chemo, the cancer did not return for 2 years. The past 2 times it came back within a year, then another in 6 months.

I think the GTX 10 series cards will be cheaper, quieter, cooler running, and use less electricity than the 9 series and below unless you go Titan. If you are going to get an NVIDIA card, I recommend that series. Waiting for the heat to end is a good thing on that anyway if planning to run GPUGRID since the new app will not release that can run on these cards until NVIDIA releases the gold CUDA8 dev kit. The RC version they have had out now cannot be used for any public release apps. They have been using it to build the app, but until that day NVIDIA deems it gold, GPUGRID cannot run on these new cards. I am waiting on the 1080TI Classified which still has not even been talked about. There is not specs for it and no release date speculated for it. I am thinking Easter of 2017 minimum as the 980TI released about that far after the 980 and 9 Series Titan.
Mike

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:01 pm

I have 4 systems running plus a laptop for a total of 64 cores. I also had to replace my phone recently and that added 4 more cores but only runs when plugged in. My electric bill isn't anywhere near as high as yours but definitely high enough for me! My house is built for efficiency with 6 inch walls, low-e double pane windows etc but taking up crunching as somewhat ruined that as it quadrupled my bill! LOL

I am so sorry to hear about your battle with tumors. I will definitely keep you in my prayers that they surgery will go well and it won't come back for a long long time! I will also pray that God strengthens you and give you the energy and keeps you in high spirits. Keep me posted on how it goes!

Those graphics cards sound ideal! I used to do GPUGrid but once my card (GTX 670) started getting old I abandoned it. There wasn't many doing it at the time so I ended up stopping and moved on to mostly CPUs. I eventually ended up back doing some P@H again, which is the primary plan again for the winter along with CPUs and if I can swing it, I'll replace the 670 with something new. You have any idea how many points a day some of the newer cards will do?
[Image

BiblePreacher
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

Postby BiblePreacher » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:42 am

A 1080 might be able to do about 1.5 to 2 times what a 980 can do, so I am thinking 750,000 or so if set to do 2 at a time. 550,000 at one at a time maybe. With optimizations obviously; like SWAN_SYNC, the 3d settings set to maximum in the NVIDIA Control Panel, and setting priorities of CPU usage and I/O.

I have a phone set to run Rosetta and it failed a lot of tasks then stopped getting them altogether. I need a new project for it and prefer something in a health field that I actually agree with the work.

Thank you for the prayers. I just had an appt today and it looks like we will be finally doing a surgery to remove the tumor very soon.
Mike

Return to “GPUGRID”