Updating driver for GPU

GPUGRID.net is a volunteer distributed computing project for biomedical research from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona (Spain). GPUGRID is made of many graphics cards (GPUs) joined together to deliver high-performance all-atom biomolecular simulations. The molecular simulations performed by our volunteers are some of the most common types performed by scientists in the field, but they are also some of the most computationally demanding and usually require a supercomputer.
http://www.gpugrid.net/
littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Updating driver for GPU

Postby littlepeaks » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi all --

On messages in BOINC, the server has been sending me the following message a few times today:

9/7/2012 5:23:15 PM World Community Grid Message from server: AMD/ATI GPU: Upgrade to the latest driver to process tasks using your computer's GPU

Would like advice on doing that -- I have an ATI Radeon 5670. I have never installed a video driver before, and I am afraid of turning my PC into a "brick". Under "properties", it says my current driver for this device is Driver Version 8.740.0.0 dated 5/17/2010 by ATI Technologies, Inc.

Actually, I want to SAFELY update the driver. I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

lp
Posted from my garage-door opener.

B2I
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: Updating driver for GPU

Postby B2I » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:39 am

While I'm not expert in this area, I have updated my Nvidias a few times. I beleive the safest way would be to go to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/w ... etect.aspx

This is AMD's home site to and the link is for a bit of software that will detect and install the latest driver for your GPU. Just pay attention to the instructions as you go and follow them to the letter.

B2I

Return to “GPUGRID”