BOINC Pentathlon 2013

An annual event sponsored by SETI.Germany where all BOINC-Teams are invited to participate. This competition is inspired by the Pentathlon of the ancient world. Just like in ancient Greece teams perform this BOINC Pentathlon by running 5 different disciplines. This means within 2 weeks the participants will need to crunch 5 different projects, each for 5 days.
http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentat ... lcome.html
USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

BOINC Pentathlon 2013

Postby USAFA82 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:26 am

I accidentally deleted the original topic from Sid2. :icon_redface:

Here's what I could recover:

This is an annual tradition at my other team {BOINCstats} and I invite this team to participate in this competition. . .

. . . or for those interested to join with BOINCstats for the duration.

All the big dog teams will be there . . .

. . . and the strategy and tactics involved make for an interesting and entertaining contest!

Team SETI.Germany continues it's new invented challenge and invites all BOINC-Teams to participate in the 4.rd BOINC PENTATHLON, following the ideals of the ancient Pentathlon.

It will start May the 5th 2013 (00:00 UTC) and will end May the 18th 2013 (23:59 UTC).

Like in the ancient Greece, the Pentathlon will be held in 5 disciplines. That means within 14 days the participants will have to crunch 5 different projects, all of them for a period of 5 days. That said, you can easily see that some projects will have to be crunched at the same time.

Each team that would like to participate has to sigh up : http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentat ... p?&lang=en until April the 27. th 2012. Like in the last year the favourites in the different disciplines can be chosen by every team on their own. The project that gaines the most voices will be crunched.

A list of the projects that can be chosen from can be found here : http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentat ... lines.html , but you can also suggest other projects. (But before suggesting other projects, please check if the project and/or their servers would be able to withstand the combined BOINC forces. We do not want to bring any project server down.)

More information can be found here : http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentat ... lcome.html

NEW RULES 2013 :

1. All disciplines are now 5 days announced before the start (no more than 1 week)

2. A of the five disciplines is a marathon discipline. It is calculated over the entire pentathlon (or until no longer work units available). The scoring is the same with the other disciplines.

In the last year it was very exciting until the end.

Project suggestion for the discipline "GPU":
Einstein

Project suggestion for the discipline "Physics & Chemistry (CPU):"
Asteroids@Home

Project suggestion for the discipline "World Community Grid (CPU)":
GO Fight Against Malaria

Project suggestion for the discipline "Mathematics (CPU)":
SZTAKI Desktop Grid

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BOINC Pentathelon 2013

Postby USAFA82 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:36 am

I apologize for accidentally deleted the original topic by Sid2. I thought this was interesting so I created a forum just for the BOINC Pentathlon. In the process of trying to move the topic to the new forum, the topic got deleted. :icon_redface:

Anyway, I've registered our team with the projects above suggested by Sid2. May the games begin! :icon_cheesygrin:

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: BOINC Pentathlon 2013

Postby Sid2 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:13 pm

This will be the fourth annual BOINC Pentathlon sponsored by SetiGermany.

To place well, a team must do well with these strategies:

Gaining as many active crunchers as possible within your team to take part in the Pentathlon
    Switching precisely from one project to another (Pending credits!)
    Well-planned resource sharing when participating in disciplines that are running simultaneously
    Planning and discussing a strategy within the own team
    Dynamical adjustment of strategies, as disciplines are always confirmed just 5 days before they start
    Choose your goal: try to win the BOINC Pentathlon or concentrate on the single disciplines
    CPU vs. GPU disciplines

Link

I have participated in the first three. . . they prove to interesting and a lot of fun.

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Sid2 wrote:This will be the fourth annual BOINC Pentathlon sponsored by SetiGermany.

To place well, a team must do well with these strategies:

Gaining as many active crunchers as possible within your team to take part in the Pentathlon
    Switching precisely from one project to another (Pending credits!)
    Well-planned resource sharing when participating in disciplines that are running simultaneously
    Planning and discussing a strategy within the own team
    Dynamical adjustment of strategies, as disciplines are always confirmed just 5 days before they start
    Choose your goal: try to win the BOINC Pentathlon or concentrate on the single disciplines
    CPU vs. GPU disciplines

Link

I have participated in the first three. . . they prove to interesting and a lot of fun.

These contests are tailor made for an app_config set up. IE: If you have a quad core HT CPU you can run all 4 projects at the same time by placing an app_config file in each of the project folders. You could dedicate 1 CPU thread for Einstein, 3 for Asteroids, 2 for GFAM and 2 for SZTAKI desktop grid. Or you can switch them around any way you like. You just have to make sure you have the correct app name in the config file. The app name can be very different from the project name. Here is an example of 4 apps I ran at the same time.

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Guess I should have paid more attention to the rules about this being each one for 5 days but you can still do the app_config thingy to run more than 1 project at a time. My bad. *slaps forehead*

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:22 pm

We are officially signed up and are listed in their registered teams. There are 22 teams registered so far.
http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentat ... tians.html

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby Sid2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:22 am

Reading over the summary of last year's pentathlon, you can begin to appreciate some of the tactics, strategy and the high level of competition that comes out for this event.

Strategy and tactics play a role: knowing which projects crunch better with 64-bit OS's, or with Linux is helpful, pre-bunkering and pre-crunching sometimes works. Protecting [or challenging] a narrow lead in one project sometimes becomes a priority. GPU-heavy teams find that their hardware is only useful on 1 project out of 5.

Since many on this team specialize on WCG, getting on the right subproject for that segment of the pentathlon is where this team should do well.

All and all, interesting, entertaining and fun . . .

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:41 am

Even simply participating is pretty cool. I remember reading about the Pentathlon coming up and being pretty jazzed about it. But man, my mind has been lots of other places (hint: upcoming child) to think about strategizing, schedules, and whatnot.

If we're tossing out votes for what to run, I'll vote for what I already have set up to run out of convenience sake. :mrgreen: (Not that I'm going to lead us to victory. lol )

Rowing: MilkyWay
Taekwondo: Asteroids
Short Track Speed Skating: DSFL
Weightlifting: SubsetSum

We already have teams for all these, and MilkyWay uses ATI GPUs.

Thanks Sid and USAFA for getting us going on this. It should be fun, even if I'm not too hands on this year.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 am

I already registered with the suggestions provided by Sid2. They haven't announced the projects, however, so perhaps some of yours will be on the list, Col323.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:00 am

Whoops. I didn't see that part of your post. That's fine what you suggested.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

Return to “BOINC Pentathlon”