BOINC Pentathlon 2013

An annual event sponsored by SETI.Germany where all BOINC-Teams are invited to participate. This competition is inspired by the Pentathlon of the ancient world. Just like in ancient Greece teams perform this BOINC Pentathlon by running 5 different disciplines. This means within 2 weeks the participants will need to crunch 5 different projects, each for 5 days.
http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentat ... lcome.html
Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: BOINC Pentathlon 2013

Postby Sid2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Starting in a few days, running down your caches is in order because somewhere between 5-7days [28-30Apr] in advance of the start, SetiG will announce the marathon project [my guess would be Rosetta or SIMAP], and the first leg [GPU] and for that one, my guess would be Einstein it supports CUDA and OpenCL cards, doesn't require DP like MW and has the servers that could support the hammering. . . . so the bunkering and suspending reporting until 5May UTC is a wining strategy.

Somewhere from 2-4 days after 5May, the second leg [Physics & Chemistry (CPU)] will be announced, my guess being Asteroids

. . . somewhere from 2-4 days after that leg starts the third leg will be annonced [WCG- no guess as to which subproject]

. . . somewhere from 2-4 days after that legs starts, the last leg will be announced [Mathematics (CPU)] - my guess is yoyo.

So the 5-day projects will overlap during the 14day run, with the marathon project running the full two weeks.

Now you should get some of the dynamics that are required for a team to score well in the Pentathlon.

. . . tactics and strategy are the name of the game.

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing what projects they pick. I'll probably put together an email explaining it to the forum members and the WCG team members. Maybe if most of the WCG folks switch to whatever WCG project is selected we may do somewhat well. If anything, it may introduce the WCG crunchers to other BOINC projects... or just generate mass confusion! lol

I suppose I'll have to double-check to see if the selected projects even have a Christians team.

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:55 pm

USAFA82 wrote:I suppose I'll have to double-check to see if the selected projects even have a Christians team.

You'll have a few days before each leg to add our team to the selected projects.

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Starts at a bad time. I've been up'n my cache for the end of HCC. I might have to miss the first leg or part of it.

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby Sid2 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:55 pm

pecosriverm wrote:Starts at a bad time. I've been up'n my cache for the end of HCC. I might have to miss the first leg or part of it.

I believe it will be close: Best guess is for the HCC well to run dry on 26April, running down caches and resends should be pretty much over by 5May.

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby Sid2 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:28 am

Sometime this Tuesday [30Apr] the 14 day running Marathon discipline will be announced and possibly the first out of four 5-day-running disciplines.

. . . running caches down.

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Thanks for the update. I've set my cache to zero days. Is that the recommendation?

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby Sid2 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:44 am

USAFA82 wrote:I've set my cache to zero days. Is that the recommendation?

Not necessary just yet. I'm running down from a 5 day cache and usually run with .10 - .25 to keep the work flowing.

The Pentathalon doesn't actually start until the 5th, but just knowing the projects that will be used gives time for working out the strategy [like bunkering up and aging or pre-crunching, holding and reporting on the 5th] that you can use. Each segment is scored separately and the projects overlap so resource allocation gets in play.

It looks like 33 teams will be there, and the competition will be intense.

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:00 pm

If the first GPU leg is Einstein do we have a team their?

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:22 pm

nanoprobe wrote:If the first GPU leg is Einstein do we have a team their?

Looks like we do: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/team_displ ... teamid=873
I don't recognize any of the names, however.

Also, BOINCstats has a list of projects that has a "Christians" team: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/ ... rojectList

When the BOINCstats list is sorted by month, the following projects show up as having an active Christians team (sorted by credit/month):

World Community Grid
DistrRTgen
GPUGRID
POEM@HOME
MilkyWay@home
Collatz Conjecture
Einstein@Home
SETI@Home
Asteroids@home
PrimeGrid
Rosetta@Home
WUProp@Home