BOINC Pentathlon 2013

An annual event sponsored by SETI.Germany where all BOINC-Teams are invited to participate. This competition is inspired by the Pentathlon of the ancient world. Just like in ancient Greece teams perform this BOINC Pentathlon by running 5 different disciplines. This means within 2 weeks the participants will need to crunch 5 different projects, each for 5 days.
http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentat ... lcome.html
Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: BOINC Pentathlon 2013

Postby Sid2 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:26 pm

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:28 pm

USAFA82 wrote:
nanoprobe wrote:If the first GPU leg is Einstein do we have a team their?

Looks like we do: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/team_displ ... teamid=873
I don't recognize any of the names, however.

I saw that too and didn't think that was any of us. I would rather not split credits up between 2 teams since we do have ours at some of the projects. That would surely water down our team efforts.

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:25 pm

nanoprobe wrote:I saw that too and didn't think that was any of us. I would rather not split credits up between 2 teams since we do have ours at some of the projects. That would surely water down our team efforts.

I was planning to join the existing Christians teams at whatever projects are chosen. Are you saying there's another way?

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:08 am

USAFA82 wrote:
nanoprobe wrote:I saw that too and didn't think that was any of us. I would rather not split credits up between 2 teams since we do have ours at some of the projects. That would surely water down our team efforts.

I was planning to join the existing Christians teams at whatever projects are chosen. Are you saying there's another way?

Since that team uses the same team name I don't know if there is another way. I'm just wondering how the pentathlon will work when it comes to team entries. Will it just recognize that team as the one who entered? We may have the same name but not the same team ID number. :icon_question:
I wonder if there is any way to contact whoever is running the Pentathlon and ask them what happens when there are 2 teams with the same name.

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby Sid2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:06 am

USAFA82 wrote: We may have the same name but not the same team ID number. :icon_question:
I wonder if there is any way to contact whoever is running the Pentathlon and ask them what happens when there are 2 teams with the same name.

My $.02:

Mike, if you can, start another team Christians

. . if you can't, try to contact the founder of the other team and have him cede ownership of the team to you.

We had a similar issue at BOINCstats and Willy is the team captain on all meaningful projects to avoid confusion.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:37 am

When will they announce the next project of the Pentathlon? If they picked Asteroids does anyone know when they would announce it? I am thinking about building up a queue of them, but I can't go beyond 11 days since that is the limit on deadline.
Last edited by pandelta on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Image

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:59 am

Sid2 wrote:Mike, if you can, start another team Christians

. . if you can't, try to contact the founder of the other team and have him cede ownership of the team to you.

We had a similar issue at BOINCstats and Willy is the team captain on all meaningful projects to avoid confusion.

I'll try to create a team. Hopefully that will work. Is there a unique BOINC team ID? I tried looking briefly this morning but couldn't find anything. Do they just look at who is the team captain vs. the team name?

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby Sid2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 am

USAFA82 wrote:I'll try to create a team. Hopefully that will work. Is there a unique BOINC team ID? I tried looking briefly this morning but couldn't find anything. Do they just look at who is the team captain vs. the team name?

Each project will manage and assign their team structure, I think this is a non-issue.

This is new territory for me. . . I believe that you won't be able to start another team with the same name, but the system will lump it together under the Christian stats.

Join the Christian team at SIMAP and I believe it will all work out.

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:35 pm

Does SIMAP run on Linux?

EDIT: NM I just tried one and it does. :shock:

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby Sid2 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 pm

The 2nd project of the BOINC Pentathlon in the discipline World Community Grid (Short Track Speed Skating) is:
The Clean Energy Project – Phase 2

All credits granted between
05/07/2013, 0.00 (UTC) and
05/12/2013, 0.00 (UTC)

Return to “BOINC Pentathlon”