BOINC Pentathlon 2013

An annual event sponsored by SETI.Germany where all BOINC-Teams are invited to participate. This competition is inspired by the Pentathlon of the ancient world. Just like in ancient Greece teams perform this BOINC Pentathlon by running 5 different disciplines. This means within 2 weeks the participants will need to crunch 5 different projects, each for 5 days.
http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentat ... lcome.html
pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Re: BOINC Pentathlon 2013

Postby pecosriverm » Tue May 07, 2013 2:57 am

USAFA82 wrote:
littlepeaks wrote:OK, I'm selecting CEP2. For some reason, every 3 or 4 days or so one or two of these error out and I get the ubiquitous "exit code 195 (0xc3)". Then everything's cool for 3 or 4 more days and then the same thing. Many crunchers have commented on error code 195 in the forums, but no solution. Anyway, I'm almost up to 1 year for CEP2. Have my PC set for a max of two of these at a time.

I really dislike that they chose CEP2 for the Pentathlon. I had gotten to 2 years and stopped crunching it due to problems.

Hear hear...
I've seen that message blamed on "not enough memory" and a failure of BOINC handing off to CEP2. Sorry I'm no help...Does it do it at the beginning or are you losing processing time?

PS I'm only running 1 WU at a time haven't seen the error yet..But I'm only running it on my newer systems.

Sid2
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby Sid2 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:58 am

USAFA82 wrote:
pecosriverm wrote:Sid ya going on a walk about :icon_question:
:(

He'll be back. He let me know that he'll be supporting BOINCstats for the Pentathlon.

My roots at BOINCstats are wide and deep. . . I'll be back after the duration of the Pentathlon.

. . . at this level of competition, BOINCstats will probably end up T10-12.

But it's all a lot of fun.

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Tue May 07, 2013 8:52 am

Sid2 wrote:My roots at BOINCstats are wide and deep. . . I'll be back after the duration of the Pentathlon.

. . . at this level of competition, BOINCstats will probably end up T10-12.

But it's all a lot of fun.

I understand...I am just hoping we can make it to the 25th place. It's really all about the work getting done and not who's first. It is fun to compete tho. :icon_cheesygrin:

I should finish my HCC work today/tomorrow. That will give me afew more cores.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 am

I got 10 CEP2 running and will see if I can switch 6 more cores over in the next few hours. Do we even have a chance in that leg?
[Image

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Tue May 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Be careful not to try too many. They write alot of files to your drives..

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:44 pm

One of our team members who isn't a member of this forum responded to my WCG email and said he was setting his CEP2 to "unlimited." I cautioned him and haven't heard back. I know when I changed mine to eight, my old i7 920 system slowed to a crawl.

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Tue May 07, 2013 3:21 pm

USAFA82 wrote:One of our team members who isn't a member of this forum responded to my WCG email and said he was setting his CEP2 to "unlimited." I cautioned him and haven't heard back. I know when I changed mine to eight, my old i7 920 system slowed to a crawl.

Setting it to unlimited only lets you download tasks according to your cache settings. You will still only be able to run as many tasks as you have cores. You can ease the burden on your machines when running CEP2 by going to the disk and memory usage tab in BoincManager and setting the Tasks checkpoint to disk at most every xxx seconds to 300 from the default 60. it will not effect your crunch times and should smooth things out. And FWIW this app runs much better on Linux than Windoze. I'll bet people who have never run this app had a rude awakening. :mrgreen:

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Tue May 07, 2013 5:20 pm

I have 16 (8 on each machine) of them running on SSD drives. I wouldn't dare try that on a regular hard drive...lol
[Image

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:35 pm

The fourth project has been announced.
Announcement of the 4th project in the discipline Mathematics
The 4th project of the BOINC Pentathlon in the discipline Mathematics (Weightlifting) is:
yoyo@home (http://www.rechenkraft.net/yoyo/)

All credits granted between
05/12/2013, 0.00 (UTC) and
05/17/2013, 0.00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits cannot be taken into account!

http://www.seti-germany.de/blog/categor ... entathlon/

*Edit: I've created a Christians team there: http://www.rechenkraft.net/yoyo/team_di ... eamid=1389

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Looks like the points for CEP2 have kicked in and it has moved us up to 20th place. Our output at SIMAP and E@H is so low that we're still sitting at zero points for those projects. Our individual CEP2 standing is 12th place. Too bad CEP2 isn't the marathon event. :icon_cheesygrin:

Return to “BOINC Pentathlon”