BOINC Pentathlon 2013

An annual event sponsored by SETI.Germany where all BOINC-Teams are invited to participate. This competition is inspired by the Pentathlon of the ancient world. Just like in ancient Greece teams perform this BOINC Pentathlon by running 5 different disciplines. This means within 2 weeks the participants will need to crunch 5 different projects, each for 5 days.
http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentat ... lcome.html
nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Re: BOINC Pentathlon 2013

Postby nanoprobe » Wed May 08, 2013 2:58 pm

pandelta wrote:I have 16 (8 on each machine) of them running on SSD drives. I wouldn't dare try that on a regular hard drive...lol

Funny how we all have different ideas on this. I only run CEP2 on regular drives because of the enormous amount of read/writes that would shorten the life of an SSD. :shock:

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Wed May 08, 2013 3:49 pm

nanoprobe wrote:
pandelta wrote:I have 16 (8 on each machine) of them running on SSD drives. I wouldn't dare try that on a regular hard drive...lol

Funny how we all have different ideas on this. I only run CEP2 on regular drives because of the enormous amount of read/writes that would shorten the life of an SSD. :shock:

I'm running 26 of them now, all on SSD's. I up the task checkpoint way up so it doesn't write to them very much (I use 5-10mins). Also they are almost all Intel SSDs with a nice warranty backing them up. So I'm not worried about it. :icon_cheesygrin: And really its only for a week or so, doubt that would damage them anyway.
[Image

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Wed May 08, 2013 7:45 pm

32 GB of read/writes per WU.

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Wed May 08, 2013 8:37 pm

I wonder how a Raid 0 would handle CEP2?

littlepeaks
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby littlepeaks » Wed May 08, 2013 9:02 pm

pecosriverm wrote:
USAFA82 wrote:
littlepeaks wrote:OK, I'm selecting CEP2. For some reason, every 3 or 4 days or so one or two of these error out and I get the ubiquitous "exit code 195 (0xc3)". Then everything's cool for 3 or 4 more days and then the same thing. Many crunchers have commented on error code 195 in the forums, but no solution. Anyway, I'm almost up to 1 year for CEP2. Have my PC set for a max of two of these at a time.

I really dislike that they chose CEP2 for the Pentathlon. I had gotten to 2 years and stopped crunching it due to problems.

Hear hear...
I've seen that message blamed on "not enough memory" and a failure of BOINC handing off to CEP2. Sorry I'm no help...Does it do it at the beginning or are you losing processing time?

PS I'm only running 1 WU at a time haven't seen the error yet..But I'm only running it on my newer systems.

If a CEP2 WU is going to error out, it always does it at the beginning -- 0.03 hours maximum. If it goes past this time, it never errors out and always goes to completion. Strange --
Posted from my garage-door opener.

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 pm

The fifth project for the Pentathlon has been announced.
Physics & Chemistry
The 5th and final of the BOINC Pentathlon in the discipline Physics & Chemistry (Taekwondo) is:
Asteroids@home (http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/)

All credits granted between
05/14/2013, 0.00 (UTC) and
05/19/2013, 0.00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Wed May 08, 2013 11:51 pm

nanoprobe wrote:32 GB of read/writes per WU.

WOW!!! Had no idea it did that much. That's crazy!
[Image

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Thu May 09, 2013 4:07 am

pandelta wrote:

Crazy is right. That's why I don't run it on SSDs

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Thu May 09, 2013 11:09 am

nanoprobe wrote:
pandelta wrote:

Crazy is right. That's why I don't run it on SSDs

After seeing your post I went and got some SSD tools. I let them run overnight and it went through 300GB+ of writes in just 12 hours according to SSDLife and CrystalDiskInfo says I've written 6.33Terabytes over its total life. On the bright side, neither Intel SSD I'm tracking dropped in expected life at all. It still says its expected/estimated life span is another 8 years 3 months and 29 days (its reads data off of the SMART chip--reads/writes/cycles/etc)). I am only running them until I get my two year badge then I am definitely stopping. SSDs get faster every year but I still want to get at least another 3 years out of it. Thanks for the heads up! On a side note, I did see in a couple of places comparing HDD to SSD for this project, HDDs cause CEP2 to take longer because they can't handle all the I/O, given that's only if you run more than one or two.
[Image

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Thu May 09, 2013 2:40 pm

pandelta wrote: I did see in a couple of places comparing HDD to SSD for this project, HDDs cause CEP2 to take longer because they can't handle all the I/O, given that's only if you run more than one or two.

HDDs handle this project fine if you change the default disk checkpoint setting in BoincManager from 60 seconds to 300.

Return to “BOINC Pentathlon”