Einstein Supports Intel GPUs

"Einstein@Home uses your computer's idle time to search for weak astrophysical signals from spinning neutron stars (also called pulsars) using data from the LIGO gravitational-wave detectors, the Arecibo radio telescope, and the Fermi gamma-ray satellite. Einstein@Home volunteers have already discovered more than three dozens new neutron stars, and we hope to find many more in the future. Our long-term goal is to make the first direct detections of gravitational-wave emission from spinning neutron stars. Gravitational waves were predicted by Albert Einstein almost a century ago, but have never been directly detected. Such observations would open up a new window on the universe, and usher in a new era in astronomy."
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/
pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Einstein Supports Intel GPUs

Postby pandelta » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:52 pm

If your Intel HD 4000 (Ivy or Haswell) has nothing to do. Einstein has GPU crunching support for it. I can run 2 threads on mine and produced a total of about 125 points every 20-30 minutes. Be warned it kept crashing on my laptop but I think I got it cheap because its cooling is terrible. As soon as I get a mini-DP cable I will try it on the I7-3770k and see how it does. It should be in the same point but hopefully a lot more stable.

As far as other GPUs they has upped the point output since I last tried it a year ago. I am hitting close to 100k/day with two 7770s and the GTX 670.
[Image

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Einstein Supports Intel GPUs (fixed)

Postby pandelta » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:59 pm

Turns out that it was a bad driver. Installed the recommended driver from Sept and all is well. No crashes or overheats, completes two WUs every 24 minutes for 62.5 points each ~ 7500 points/day. GPU WUs appear to be CPU intensive. I can only run 6 CPU tasks while running 2 GPU tasks. It says it needs 0.5 CPU but since Intel chips are really 4 real and 4 virtual cores its really 1.

I have 4 tasks running on two 7770s on the FX8. I still have 6 CPU tasks running there as two cores can handle 2 GPU each.
[Image

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Re: Einstein Supports Intel GPUs

Postby Col323 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:32 pm

pandelta wrote:If your Intel HD 4000 (Ivy or Haswell) has nothing to do...

So, a 3000 won't do? I have a couple year old i5.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Col323 wrote:
pandelta wrote:If your Intel HD 4000 (Ivy or Haswell) has nothing to do...

So, a 3000 won't do? I have a couple year old i5.

According to below links, no. Boinc will only run on Intel GPUs that support OpenCL which is strictly HD2500/4000+ (Ivy and Haswell). Intel never released OpenCL drivers for Sandy Bridge and older cores.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... sing_units
[Image

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:53 am

Thanks! I have trouble keeping up with the specs and differences of all the computing technology lately. I appreciate the quick info right here.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

Return to “Einstein@Home”