Last call for SIMAP

"SIMAP is a database of protein similarities and protein domains. It contains about all currently published protein sequences and is continuously updated. Protein similarities are computed using the FASTA algorithm which provides optimal speed and sensitivity. Protein domains are calculated using the InterPro methods and databases. SIMAP is to our knowledge the only project that combines comprehensive coverage with respect to all known proteins and incremental update capabilities."
http://boincsimap.org/boincsimap/
radioboyz
Cruncher
Cruncher

Re: Last call for SIMAP

Postby radioboyz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:41 am

Hello Vester & Everybody!

Radioboyz here wondering how you are liking Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 RC? I've been stuck with Fedora only because I unable to
install Mint on my most powerful machine; namely, a Supermicro H8QME-2 four socket Opteron 8431 motherboard. The installation screen was a
scambled mess. I don't think Mint could find the right video driver for this board. So I reinstalled Fedora instead with a large collection of desktops
to try out including Cinnamon, Mate, Gnome, KDE, and others. However, I am able to install LMC 17 on a laptop so want to give
it a try as you are doing.

One of the difficulties I just know I am going to run into is how to run BOINC & SIMAP on Mint? Specifically how do you do that in the terminal? I'd
eventually like to get a second H8QME2 and run the two side by side to see how Mint compares to Fedora speedwise, pointwise, and otherwise!
One things for sure, Mint is getting high ratings in all reviews recently and has a stunningly beatiful desktop. I may eventually start to install Mint on
more machines if I find it lives up to claims.

Please let me know how you like Mint, and especially how to get BOINC & SIMAP running with it. Thank you.

Radioboyz

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:55 am

Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon RC has only one limitation that bothers me. I cannot use Linux at USAA Federal Savings Bank and use the Deposit@home feature or Trusteer Rapport for fast logon. There is a work-around for making deposits.

I am currently running Linux Mint 17.1 RC on a 128 GB USB flash drive. I am limited to about 4 GB of persistent memory in this mode. I tried installing it in a partition on my SSD drive to dual boot with Windows Technical Preview. Linux Mint did not recognize Windows TP as an OS and my boot sector was over-written. I could probably work around that issue, but don't care to do it at this time. I reinstalled Windows TP from a drive image. Linux Mint is faster on the USB stick than Windows TP on the SSD. I am running Windows TP only because I am a Beta junkie. I prefer the fonts, appearance, and feel of Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon RC.

Linux Mint 17 RC comes with the Synaptic Package Manager so terminal is not needed. Open Synaptic Package Manager and type boinc where you can select it for installation. The BOINC GUI is straightforward. You can install, configure, and update Linux Mint then install BOINC and be running SIMPAP in about 45 minutes.

Should anyone want to run Folding@home which includes a GPU client on Linux, there are Linux clients available at http://folding.stanford.edu/ .

BlisteringSheep
Novice Cruncher
Novice Cruncher

Postby BlisteringSheep » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Some good milestones: we are now in 79th overall, with over 6.5 million (this -><- close to 6.7 million, actually). In RAC, we're 7th with over 150k.

There are now 5 folks in the top 1000, with over 1 million points.

Keep it up, we're getting close to the finish line. Good job everyone!

Zeppelin
Novice Cruncher
Novice Cruncher

Postby Zeppelin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:01 am

Vester wrote:Zeppelin, I run Folding@home on my two GPUs and the team is doing well, 191st, with just six of us. F@h is the best GPU project IMO. Free DC Stats.

Finally took the plunge, one -smp & one gpu client running on a "well used but not abused" I7 920 with a nVidia GTX 560. This will be just a short test as everything will be shutdown on Wednesday thru Sunday while on Thanksgiving trip to Atlanta.

Zeppelin
Novice Cruncher
Novice Cruncher

Postby Zeppelin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:26 am

BlisteringSheep wrote:Some good milestones: we are now in 79th overall, with over 6.5 million (this -><- close to 6.7 million, actually). In RAC, we're 7th with over 150k.

There are now 5 folks in the top 1000, with over 1 million points.

Keep it up, we're getting close to the finish line. Good job everyone!

I have been slacking the last few days on SIMAP, firing back up as we speak.

radioboyz
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby radioboyz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:26 am

Almost time to celebrate.....
Radioboyz about to pass PecosRiverM - Hooray!!!.jpg

Last time "some victories are short lived".
Indeed that was the case...
Maybe this time it will be different?

Radioboyz :icon_razz:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zeppelin
Novice Cruncher
Novice Cruncher

Postby Zeppelin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:45 am

Just noticed on the simap news feed;

Thursday and Friday this week core network components are replaced. That will result in longer network downtimes. Our BOINC server will therefore be unavailable the entire Thursday and partially Friday. We will try to keep the downtime as short as possible.

Best wishes
Thomas

Set your "days of work" to cover the outage.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:56 pm

Zeppelin wrote:
Vester wrote:Zeppelin, I run Folding@home on my two GPUs and the team is doing well, 191st, with just six of us. F@h is the best GPU project IMO. Free DC Stats.

Finally took the plunge, one -smp & one gpu client running on a "well used but not abused" I7 920 with a nVidia GTX 560. This will be just a short test as everything will be shutdown on Wednesday thru Sunday while on Thanksgiving trip to Atlanta.

I see your GPUs are well-employed across many projects and helping on many fronts. :icon_cool: Just curious, what (and how many) do you have under the hood?

Great work, everybody. We are Top 80 and still climbing. We have Crunching@EVGA in our sites. I'm tempted to go razz them a bit, although that may not be the wisest move with a few of our folks spooling down.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

Zeppelin
Novice Cruncher
Novice Cruncher

Postby Zeppelin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Col323 wrote:
I see your GPUs are well-employed across many projects and helping on many fronts. :icon_cool: Just curious, what (and how many) do you have under the hood?

ATM, a GTX 560, 2 ATI 5770's, 1 ATI 5870, 1 ATI 6950, 1 ATI 6970 and 1 ATI 7950. The rest are still in storage or not installed.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:23 pm

"The rest"...that sounds ominous. :D
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

Return to “Similarity Matrix of Proteins (SIMAP)”