New Project Launched (Asteroids@home)

"The project Asteroids@home was started with the aim to significanly enlarge our knowledge of physical properties of asteroids. The BOINC application uses photometric measurements of asteroids observed by professional big all-sky surveys as well as 'backyard' astronomers. The data is processed using the lightcurve inversion method and a 3D shape model of an asteroid together with the rotation period and the direction of the spin axis are derived."
http://asteroidsathome.net/
pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

New Project Launched (Asteroids@home)

Postby pandelta » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 pm

If anyone is interested, Boinc launched a new project on the 1st of this year. I just found out about it myself. It's called Asteroids@home. I setup a Christian group for it if anyone is interested. I primarily do cancer research but this is a nice little side project, since I'm a sci-fi buff and its also nice to help learn more about what God did in only 6 days.... lol

A little about it...."Asteroids are the most numerous objects in the solar system. So far, hundreds of thousands of asteroids are known, with hundreds of new discoveries every day. Although the total number of known asteroids is large, very little is known about the physical properties of individual objects. For a significant part of the population, only the size of the bodies is known. Other physical parameters (the shape, the rotation period, direction of the rotation axis,...) are known only for hundreds of objects. "

Essentially the crunching is to learn more about asteroids....main site is here:
http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/index.php

Taking me 1.5 hours on my Ivy and you get 120 credits. Its CPU only. Since there isn't many doing it you move up the ranking rather fast! I'm in the top 2100 and only did 10 WU's. Team is in the top 225 range.
[Image

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Project Launched (Asteroids@home)

Postby USAFA82 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:59 pm

My first impression when I saw this post is "We get to play the Asteroids game!" Alas, that's not the case...lol. Looks interesting, though. I try to devote 100% of my in-house BOINC time to WCG, but perhaps I'll find some room for this project since I enjoy Sci-fi as well.

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:18 pm

USAFA82 wrote:My first impression when I saw this post is "We get to play the Asteroids game!" Alas, that's not the case...lol. Looks interesting, though. I try to devote 100% of my in-house BOINC time to WCG, but perhaps I'll find some room for this project since I enjoy Sci-fi as well.

Einstein@Home and Milkyway@Home are 2 other projects you might find interesting that can use your ATI cards when the WCG GPU app is finished.

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:21 am

Me and my little Nexus 7 have joined! It looks like 1 unit takes about 14.5 hours, but I can run 4 at once while sipping juice from the wall.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:12 am

Col323 wrote:Me and my little Nexus 7 have joined! It looks like 1 unit takes about 14.5 hours, but I can run 4 at once while sipping juice from the wall.

4 is great! That's twice what a Fire HD can do! and every little bit helps! We might just catch Minnesota Crunchers, Team 2ch and XtremeSystems yet!
[Image

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:58 am

nanoprobe wrote:
USAFA82 wrote:My first impression when I saw this post is "We get to play the Asteroids game!" Alas, that's not the case...lol. Looks interesting, though. I try to devote 100% of my in-house BOINC time to WCG, but perhaps I'll find some room for this project since I enjoy Sci-fi as well.

Einstein@Home and Milkyway@Home are 2 other projects you might find interesting that can use your ATI cards when the WCG GPU app is finished.

Albert@Home is another.

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:04 pm

There's a new dude or dudette on the team! Andras joins us all the way from Romania! They already whooshed past me. :icon_cool: Welcome!
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Welcome Andras!!! Glad to have you aboard!
[Image

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Col323 wrote:There's a new dude or dudette on the team! Andras joins us all the way from Romania! They already whooshed past me. :icon_cool: Welcome!

Sweet! Like a speeding Asteroid! :icon_cheesygrin:

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Asteroids@home Now 2-3 Times Faster!!!

Postby pandelta » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Over the last couple of weeks Asteroids was updated with new SSE2 and SSE3 optimizations plus additional ones for just 64 bit version of Windows and Linux, even the Raspberry PI and Android got upgraded. The changes have made a huge difference!

My Intel machines are doing WUs more than twice as fast (1.25 hours to 35 minutes). What I really find absolutely amazing though is that my FX-8120 is now more than 3 times faster (went from 2.5 hours to 38 minutes for each WU) which puts it only a couple of minutes longer than my Ivy Bridge I7. Never would have thought I would ever see AMD compete on computing.

My Android (Kindle Fire HD) went from 15-22 hours to 9.

And each WU is still 120 points each!
[Image

Return to “Asteroids@Home”