Back again

Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. Its primary purpose is to determine the mechanisms of protein folding, which is the process by which proteins reach their final three-dimensional structure, and to examine the causes of protein misfolding.
What is protein folding?
Proteins are biology's workhorses- its "nanomachines." Proteins help your body break down food into energy, regulate your moods, and fight disease. Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." While protein folding is critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology much of the process remains a mystery.

When proteins do not fold correctly (misfolding), there can be serious health consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, AIDS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many cancers.

If we better understand protein misfolding we can design drugs and therapies to combat these illnesses.
Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Back again

Postby Vester » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:25 am

Having had a 1000 watt power supply and an MSI Radeon R9 390 laying around about 18 months waiting for a new build, I finally did something with them. I am not willing to pay the price of my dream machine, so I compromised. I found an old Dell Precision Workstation 390 that would not boot, had a Core 2 Duo @1.86 GHz, only 1 GB of RAM, no hard drive, and an ancient Quadro video card. The Dell had last run Windows XP Pro. It would not get past BIOS with a hard drive installed.

I got it running and upgraded the CPU to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66 Ghz . Then I installed a Dell heatpipe heatsink, 8 GB PC-6300 RAM, two hard drives, two video cards. and the OCZ 1000 watt power supply. I still have a batch of additional power cables left! I removed the DVD/CD drive and the case structure for those items. I installed Windows 10 Pro ($2.48 on eBay). Putting the side on this case is impossible, so I removed the front of the case, too. The latest photo of this (jury)rig is shown on my Facebook page. There are other photos of it during development in my photos. Both video cards started running Folding@home about ten hours ago. I spent about fifty bucks on this machine (less the power supply and video cards). Not bad!

The video card inside the case is a Sapphire Toxic R9 290X and the MSI R9 390 would not fit inside the case at all, so I have it on a PCIe X8 slot with an adapter cable to x16 with an extender cable added. I taped the back of the 390 to the top of an old Dell case that is taped to my computer desk for stability. Don't laugh, it works. :D I expect about 400,000 points or more daily. I will know more in a few days

thepeacemaker7
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

Re: Back again

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:54 pm

Hey Vester, there is a channel on youtube called "OzTalksHW", where the idea is to buy a used dell machine for 50 dollars and upgrade the graphics card. The idea is to make a gaming rig as cheaply as possible. It seems that you and Oz think alike.

Anyway, I will join you as soon as the fall months come around (and cooler temperatures). Right now my computer is idling with cpu crunching only.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 pm

Good to see you! It is quiet around here.

Here is an article at Tom's Hardware about overclocking Dell computers. I don't care to overclock, but one of the later Precision models with two PCIe 16x slots and physically smaller heatsink/fans would be interesting with two high performance video cards.

I don't use my CPU cores for folding because I want to get all I can from the video cards. I had the computer off for a while yesterday to set the external video card vertical hoping for a GPU temperature reduction. The R9 390 runs 69-70 C. I lost a little time today due to tweaking and restarts.

My stats.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:10 am

I am on measured internet service, I got my power bill yesterday, and Folding@home has not improved their servers in years. I am done.

thepeacemaker7
Basic Cruncher
Basic Cruncher

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:36 am

Sorry to hear that Vester. How about taking out the Graphics cards and using that core 2 quad for World Community Grid?

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:39 pm

OK. Soon.

Return to “Folding@home”