254.79 more days to pass Pandelta

Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. Its primary purpose is to determine the mechanisms of protein folding, which is the process by which proteins reach their final three-dimensional structure, and to examine the causes of protein misfolding.
What is protein folding?
Proteins are biology's workhorses- its "nanomachines." Proteins help your body break down food into energy, regulate your moods, and fight disease. Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." While protein folding is critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology much of the process remains a mystery.

When proteins do not fold correctly (misfolding), there can be serious health consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, AIDS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many cancers.

If we better understand protein misfolding we can design drugs and therapies to combat these illnesses.
pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: 254.79 more days to pass Pandelta

Postby pandelta » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:45 am

I would like too but most of my GPUs have died. I managed to wear them out. :) I am hoping to upgrade later this year but in the mean time I am just concentrating on WCG. Unless I hit the lottery you will definitely pass me! lol Great job! It took all 6 of my GPUs to get there!
[Image

thepeacemaker7
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Hey Pandelta!
I hope you can find some good deals on GPU's this year. We are experiencing the Crypto-Coin Mining Apocalypse of 2017-2018. lol

I was thinking of building a new computer for WCG this year, because I would like to contribute more towards that effort. However, I will probably wait until 2019 so that DDR4 memory can come down in price. :icon_rolleyes:

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 am

I have been following that also and its one if the reasons i haven't upgraded too. I am not fond of paying a premium for GPUs. Especilly what they are going for now! The good news is AMD is ramping up production and interestingly enough they cited that they can get more GPUs cores easy but the biggest issue they are facing is memory supplies. There isn't enough.

I thought crypto would die down now and things would improve but now there is news that some big player in China convinced Samsung to make ASIC chips for crypto currency. They don't do that so the order was so big that it got them to. Now its hush hush and they wont say who bought them and what they are for. Someone put a massive pile of cash on the table to get them to do that. Doesn't sound like its dying anytime soon.
[Image

thepeacemaker7
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Hey Pandelta,
I have bad news. It looks like the new and used GPU marked is extremely overpriced right now. Memory is also very high. Even consoles are going up in price. :icon_cry2:

The Worst Time In History To Build A Gaming PC! by Tech Tomorrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aO0zOPj2ac

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Its pretty bad alright! You can get a GPU direct from two manufacturers (EVGA and NVIDIA) by signing up and getting email alerts when they come in. I signed up and have gotten 3 notices so far but I decided to hold off since Nvidia is rumored to releasing an next gen card in June. If your going to put 500+ on a card you might as well get the latest and greatest. If you are only looking for mid to low level cards you can still get find them in stock. I would love to build a 4k gaming system but you can't do that on mid-level cards. Our only hope is if this guy is right and demand drops, but ASICs are coin specific, it will happen all over again as soon as another coin becomes popular.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/amd-s ... 2018-03-26
[Image

Return to “Folding@home”