Folding@Home - Info, Stats & Sigs!

Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. Its primary purpose is to determine the mechanisms of protein folding, which is the process by which proteins reach their final three-dimensional structure, and to examine the causes of protein misfolding.
What is protein folding?
Proteins are biology's workhorses- its "nanomachines." Proteins help your body break down food into energy, regulate your moods, and fight disease. Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." While protein folding is critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology much of the process remains a mystery.

When proteins do not fold correctly (misfolding), there can be serious health consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, AIDS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many cancers.

If we better understand protein misfolding we can design drugs and therapies to combat these illnesses.
pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: Folding@Home - Top 1200 = New Stats & Sigs!

Postby pandelta » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Col323 wrote: And according to the EOC stats, that all came from one unit.

Wow you have got to be kidding me! He got 240,000 points from one WU! I have two 7770s and a GTX 670 running and can only get around 110,000. I wonder what hardware he is running those on.

And there he just did it again. I just checked and he just jumped up 260,000 point on free stats. I got to get me some of those WUs...lol
[Image

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Re: Folding@Home - Top 1200 = New Stats & Sigs!

Postby Col323 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Yes, Folding rewards how quickly you can return work, and the amount of processing it takes to complete a unit. Some work is so complex it's only handed out to machines with 16+ physical cores. Those large units can pull down some big points. Interestingly, GPU work is headed in that same direction as this new core stabilizes and goes mainstream.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: Folding@Home - Info, Stats & Sigs!

Postby pandelta » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:08 pm

Been awhile since i have been on F@H but since i saw an article from Nvidia asking for help on Convid 19 (Cornavirus) research on F@H I decided to fire up the new GPU to see how it does. :)

Thought others on here might be interesting. Here is the call from Nvidia:
https://www.gamesradar.com/nvidias-call ... -covid-19/
[Image

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:11 am

Me, too. ^^^

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:51 am

What are you running, pandelta? I tossed my old Dell Precision Workstation and R9 390 after I built a rack mining rig with four Radeon HD 7990 (dual GPU) cards. It has an ASUS B250 Mining Expert motherboard, 8GB RAM, Intel i5 7600 (mobo limited, no hyperthreading allowed) and two OCZ ZX power supplies (1250 and 1000 watts). I run the eight GPU slots only. The Radeon HD 7990s do well on FP64 (double precision) tasks like Milkyway@home and some of PrimeGrid's work. I'm not sure how well it can do here because I cannot get enough work units to run eight GPUs yet.

I recently got up the nerve to apply Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut to four of the hottest-running GPUs and that product really works! This rig is best suited for the heating season.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:42 am

The distribution of work units is so slow that I am going to turn off my mining rig until work is fully available. It makes no sense to waste 1500 watts of power doing so little work.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:17 pm

Just as I was about to shut down my rig, two work units were downloaded. After about 15 minutes, I had seven GPU work units and one CPU WU. I got lucky.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:41 am

Full queue! Hang on.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:07 am

Now that my queue is full, I have a backlog of uploads. Nine to be exact at this time.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:15 am

We will see an adjustment in the stats whenever the results are reviewed. Some of us have reported that only base points are being awarded on some work units and the awarded points will be adjusted.

Currently, the uploads are backlogged and downloads are sporadic.

Return to “Folding@home”