Folding@Home - Info, Stats & Sigs!

Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. Its primary purpose is to determine the mechanisms of protein folding, which is the process by which proteins reach their final three-dimensional structure, and to examine the causes of protein misfolding.
What is protein folding?
Proteins are biology's workhorses- its "nanomachines." Proteins help your body break down food into energy, regulate your moods, and fight disease. Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." While protein folding is critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology much of the process remains a mystery.

When proteins do not fold correctly (misfolding), there can be serious health consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, AIDS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many cancers.

If we better understand protein misfolding we can design drugs and therapies to combat these illnesses.
Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Re: Folding@Home - Info, Stats & Sigs!

Postby Vester » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:58 pm

Now I have a full queue of work, but uploads are running behind...way behind. There are 20 that keep trying to upload and FAH has burned about 20GB of data trying to upload in the past three days. I have turned off the mining rig until uploads get better. I am on measured service (AT&T Fixed Wireless).

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:07 am

Some of the work units are longer-running now and that should help the upload servers catch up.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:31 pm

I have 26 completed work units that have not uploaded, but FAH has used over 8GB of bandwidth in the last 24 hours trying repeatedly to upload the work. I thought they were in a hurry to get this data!

As if that were not enough, points are not being correctly assigned to all of my uploaded work units, but that will be corrected someday. I could have a ten million point "day."

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:26 pm

I shut down the mining rig with 38 completed work units in the work queue. I cannot let FAH use all of my measured internet data. It used 58GB in four days trying to upload and download work. I'll check daily to see if they will upload.

Return to “Folding@home”