What are you guys currently working on?

Welcome to the home of Team Christians. If you have just registered on the board, you MUST post an introduction to gain access to the rest of the forums (it helps to weed out fake registrations). There may already be a welcome thread started for you. Just reply to it and tell us a little about yourself. NOTE: You don't have to be a member of the team in order to post here. All are welcome! Thanks!
thepeacemaker7
Cruncher
Cruncher

Re: What are you guys currently working on?

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:41 pm

I just built another computer in Oct and highly recommend it. Its a dual socket 32 thread/16 core 2.4 GHz Sandy Bridge based Xeons (E5-2665s). Intel is launching the V5 Xeons (Skylake) in June so prices are plummeting on the V1's since everyone is trying to dump them. They are dirt cheat and getting cheaper (now almost half what I paid). I only paid $110 for the two processors. I already had ram, power supply and case as my FX-8120 died so it only set me back about $500. The biggest expense is the motherboard, which I bought new. It was well worth it though! It so much faster! The nice thing about the mobo I got is I can in the future (if the prices drop enough) upgrade it to 48 core Ivy Bridge @ 2.7ghz or a 40 core @3 ghz.

That is a very interesting approach. It seems like most of the guys in the Folding@Home forums believe a GPU heavy rig is the way to go. it doesn't appear that CPU's make much of a difference. Is BOINC more multi-core CPU friendly?

I know when I signed up for World Community Grid it had an option for using the graphics card, but I didn't choose that option for the older computers that I assigned to that effort. So, I am not familiar with how GPU's work with World Community Grid.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:39 pm

GPUs don't work on WCG actually. There was a GPU project at one time but it didn't last long. There was so much support that the project ran out. WCG is almost always CPU driven. There has been several attempts to get more GPU projects because that is what a large percentage of the support base wanted but that hasn't gotten anywhere so far. There are GPU projects on BOINC such as GPUgrid that i also do but so far no luck with WCG. I keep hoping the next one will be a ten year gpu project...
[Image

thepeacemaker7
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Thanks for the info Pandelta. That looks like a project I will start working on next year. It appears that the gaming community has a similar idea as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-01q09bLU&t=12s

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

That is pretty cool! I never would have thought it would do that good at gaming being its <3.0ghz.
[Image

Return to “Welcome and Introductions”