Greetings from Fair Play, SC

Welcome to the home of Team Christians. If you have just registered on the board, you MUST post an introduction to gain access to the rest of the forums (it helps to weed out fake registrations). There may already be a welcome thread started for you. Just reply to it and tell us a little about yourself. NOTE: You don't have to be a member of the team in order to post here. All are welcome! Thanks!
Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Re: Greetings from Fair Play, SC

Postby Col323 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:06 am

I see you folding away. You're already over 100,000! March was the team's best month ever - thanks in large part to McCauley. Maybe April can be even better? It's a tall order with one fewer day.

I'm a long way from the Grandpa stage. We just had our first seven months ago. But I agree. These are the good old days. :D
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:44 pm

Several months ago, I gave up trying to crunch with my computer. It was freezing several times a day when I crunched and about once a day when not crunching. It had been back to HP for repairs twice for the problem. Last week, I decided to replace the 10 GB (three mismatched sticks from HP) of PC3 10600 RAM with two 8 GB sticks of PC3 12800 Mushkin Blackline RAM, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product . It has been running more than 36 hours without a problem. Here's hoping it can run 24/7/365.

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Hopefully it was just the memory.

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:33 pm

It's a good sign if it's been running for 36 hours without any more problems

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby nanoprobe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Memory is usually the first/best place to start looking when you have these type of computer issues.
Memtest is a great tool for diagnosing memory issues. Burn ISO to CD, boot to CD and let it run.
PS: Glad to see you got it running. :mrgreen:

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:23 am

Memtest had not shown anything, but it is going great now. I discovered that one of the three original memory sticks had different timings when I used CPU-Z. The irony of it all is that I made a decision to buy this HPE h9-1135 Phoenix because I didn't want to spend the time building one because I was too busy. Then I it took almost two years to sort HP's mistake. The "good news" is that HP upgraded my power supply from 600 to 800 watts and the processor from AMD FX-8150 to FX-8350. I upgraded the video card to HD 7790 from 7770 while troubleshooting and put the HD 7770 in another computer.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:44 am

I know that feeling. I used to take pride in knowing the best components and building all my crunchers myself. Then I got tired of the RMA process and would just order a well specced machine so I could take it out of the box and start crunching. Well, like you said, I've spent a lot of time chasing odd issues and swapping out parts on those "plug it in and forget about it" machines.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Welcome aboard! Yes, I am a little behind! LOL.
[Image

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Well, I got here after you, pandelta!

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:48 pm

I finally got to the bottom of my perplexing computer freezes (HPE h9-1135 Phoenix). The Radeon HD 7790 video card has problems with the Catalyst drivers for 7000 series cards and I have found that I am not the only person with this problem. I am now crunching using Linux Mint 17 and the native drivers. If I load the proprietary AMD drivers, it will freeze. I found some Windows drivers specifically for the video card (14-4-xp32-64-dd-ccc-pack3.exe). but I would have to load Windows again to test them. I'm working on an AMD R9 deal with one of my grandsons.

I have a grandson (13) in Japan and learned yesterday that he bought himself a gaming laptop: https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Notebooks_Ul ... OG_G750JH/ . That boy gets a lot more money than I ever gave his Dad!

Return to “Welcome and Introductions”