Hello!

Welcome to the home of Team Christians. If you have just registered on the board, you MUST post an introduction to gain access to the rest of the forums (it helps to weed out fake registrations). There may already be a welcome thread started for you. Just reply to it and tell us a little about yourself. NOTE: You don't have to be a member of the team in order to post here. All are welcome! Thanks!
pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: Hello!

Postby pandelta » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi Nanoprobe.

My PowerCooler R9 270s are so far running stable @ 1175/1550 (core/mem on stock volts) and are about 35% faster over a single task at stock settings. I am running 4 task on each card using the below config and am limiting CPU task to 6 so that the GPU task has two full CPU cores to support them (they don't need much but one isn't enough). The Asus cards I am still playing with and haven't yet put POAM on them but with video testing they won't run over 1140/1550 (stock). I may flash them and see if I can get them up to 1200. I was able to run @1200 for awhile on the Powercoolers and they returned 39% but it wasn't stable and it may not be worth the extra power/heat anyway so I may just stick to stock.

I have tried running between 2-6 tasks and 4 is definitely the sweet spot for the R9 270s. POEM task like higher memory and core speeds. They also eat video memory and will use 250-550MB though usually staying in the 350 range for each task. If you don't have enough it will swap to RAM but that of course slows them down. Running 5 or 6 tasks was slower than just running one but I've heard faster cards like 6 (probably 3+GB cards---mine are only 2GB).

Place below app_config.xml file in the boinc.fzk.de_poem folder where your data is kept (if you don't have it already).

<app_config>
<app>
<name>poemcl</name>
<user_friendly_name>POEM++ OpenCL</user_friendly_name>
<gpu_versions>
<gpu_usage>0.25</gpu_usage>
<cpu_usage>0.25</cpu_usage>
</gpu_versions>
</app>
</app_config>
[Image

nanoprobe
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Re: Hello!

Postby nanoprobe » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanks for the settings pandelta. I still have a few R9 270X cards but I never really tried to tweak them to run POEM. I was running 2 tasks @ 1100/1400. I'll try your settings and see what happens when I bring them back on line. Still waiting for an RMA on one from PowerColor. Does PCI-E 3.0 vs. 2.0 give more points. Seems I remember reading something about that when 3.0 first came out. I'll join in when the WCG beta run is over.

Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

Return to “Welcome and Introductions”