Hello!

Welcome to the home of Team Christians. If you have just registered on the board, you MUST post an introduction to gain access to the rest of the forums (it helps to weed out fake registrations). There may already be a welcome thread started for you. Just reply to it and tell us a little about yourself. NOTE: You don't have to be a member of the team in order to post here. All are welcome! Thanks!
Andrew McFarland
Settling In
Settling In

Greetings.

Postby Andrew McFarland » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Hello all. I'm a semi-retired computer programmer (Java) living in rural western Oregon, USA. I've been crunching boinc for about 3 years, and let me just say its a pleasant surprise to find a Christian team. Some of my interest include recreational programming (learning OpenCL fun!), amateur radio and gardening. Hope this day finds you all well. God bless. -Andrew

p.s. at first glance it seems WCG doesn't generally have GPU work, and I"m sitting here with 3 290X in my box. Any preferred GPU capable project we have a presence in?

Andrew McFarland
Settling In
Settling In

Hello!

Postby Andrew McFarland » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Greetings all.

Name: Andrew McFarland

Team: Christians

Occupation: semi-retired computer programmer (java) Currently working on a Post-bachalaureate degree

Interests: recreational programming, amateur radio and gardening.

I've been crunching mostly space science related projects for about 7 years off and on; projects that used ATI/AMD GPU's. Finally realized there were in fact Christian crunchers (who company I vastly prefer :-) God bless. -Andrew

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: Greetings.

Postby pandelta » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:57 pm

I am not sure what GPU projects are floating around these days, I have all my cards sitting ideal for the summer waiting on something to show up and for it to cool off. It gets hot enough here in WV that I don't want to pay to run and cool the GPUs! I keep hoping WCG brings back a GPU project but no luck so far.

I think you will find some other amateur radio enthusiast on here. The board has been kind of slow the last several months. Perhaps everyone is gardening! Anyways, welcome aboard! Glad to have you!
[Image

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello!

Postby USAFA82 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:19 pm

Welcome Andrew! And welcome to WCG and our forums. I believe Folding @ Home still has GPU project. I had switched my video card from Nvidia to Radeon and had to drop at least one GPU project that only used Nvidia. WCG had a GPU project but it completed pretty quickly thanks to the crunching power of GPUs!

I've also idled my main computer until the cold weather sets in again. Col323 is our resident guru on the subject of various projects. Hopefully he'll see this thread and comment.

Hanski
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby Hanski » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:29 am

Welcome!
<><

Andrew McFarland
Settling In
Settling In

Postby Andrew McFarland » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:05 pm

Ha! I had never seen that one before! :-)

<><

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi Andrew! Welcome! That's a good mix of hobbies you have. I've strayed away from my professional and recreational programming (although I still seem to be the office go-to guy for Excel VBA - a far cry from OpenCL). My wife is the gardener; I'd probably take more of an interest if you could grow pizza.

Those 290x's would do well on Poem@Home in Boinc. It has Open CL work. The project can be found here: http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/ and our team stats can be found here: http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page ... &team=1247

If you want to venture away from Boinc, as mentioned, they should do well on Folding at Home. http://folding.stanford.edu/ It's a separate client to download, but it's still pretty plug and chug.

These are a couple bio/medical projects good for your GPU. If you're into astronomy or math, there are others. I don't follow them as closely since I really like helping medical research.

Feel free to ask questions, and I'm sure somebody will be along with a helpful answer. There's also lots of good information and fun threads throughout the forum, even if some of them are a little dusty. :-) It's always good to have another brother in Christ on board!

James/Col323
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

pecosriverm
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby pecosriverm » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:31 pm

Howdy and Welcome to the Team.

If you start crunching Poem let me know so I can fire mine up to. lol

Hanski
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby Hanski » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Andrew McFarland wrote:Ha! I had never seen that one before! :-)

<><

Well. I'm not very good at an ASCII art. :icon_rolleyes: It's a very simple fish. :)
<><

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:51 am

Deleted previous post. I see that Poem@Home has GPU work again. I fell out of the loop while testing Windows 10 Preview (still running an Insider Preview Build 10532). I will rejoin the team at POEM and leave Folding@home.

Return to “Welcome and Introductions”