What are you guys currently working on?

Welcome to the home of Team Christians. If you have just registered on the board, you MUST post an introduction to gain access to the rest of the forums (it helps to weed out fake registrations). There may already be a welcome thread started for you. Just reply to it and tell us a little about yourself. NOTE: You don't have to be a member of the team in order to post here. All are welcome! Thanks!
thepeacemaker7
Cruncher
Cruncher

What are you guys currently working on?

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:33 pm

Hey guys,
I'm thepeacemaker7, and I have joined the Christians Against Cancer Folding@Home team, but it appears that the members of this board may be focusing on other things (like BOINC). I'm curious what you guys are currently working on. :) I might put one of my older computers on one of the other distributed computing efforts.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Re: What are you guys currently working on?

Postby pandelta » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:11 pm

Welcome abroad! Glad to have you! We are all over the place really. Our primary focus is WCG but all the projects I was working on there ran out of work so I am temporarily playing with Einstein, Asteroids and GPUGrid until they post more. I also do WUProp regularly on all machines as does several here, Col323 got me on it, its not a project but more a stats tracker for projects. Its very interesting. I did do a lot of F@H but it seems many have left it. I am not sure if anyone is doing anything there now. I thought about doing it again for the winter but right now I am on Einstein using GPUs for kicks and giggles. I prefer disease research and was planning on POAM until they pulled the plug on me.

Where are you located at? I'm in the extreme eastern part of WV, not far from DC.
[Image

thepeacemaker7
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:04 pm

Hello Pandelta,
There are three guys (including myself) in the team right now. I will most likely pass the other two guys very shortly (because I got a passkey and I turned on client type beta and I turned on big max packet size). I have never worked with GPU's before with Folding@Home, so I am still trying to tune my system. I have only done CPU folding in the past.

For now, I intend to hold down the Folding@Home fort, but I might put one of my old computers on BOINC. However, I might need some help with that in the future.

Anyway, I am from Alabama. :icon_cheesygrin:

thepeacemaker7
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Name: Joe
Team: Christians Against Cancer (Folding at Home Team)
Interests: Electric Guitar, Bass Guitar, Computers, Working on my Car, watching John MacArthur videos on Youtube etc...

I decided to join this team because it is the only operational Christian team on Folding At Home.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:42 pm

I definitely like BOINC projects better than those standalone ones. BOINC is easy to use and very customizable.

I did the bigmax ones too. At 500k/day your are definitely going to smoke those two quick, but it will still take you awhile, but real long to catch me... :shock: FreeDC says you jumped 140,000+ spots in one day! LOL

Here are some of the nicer stats sites. I think I got that last one from Col323.
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page ... eam=198251
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... =&t=198251

I haven't been down to Alabama in quite a long time, but I have been to Huntsville, Decatur and Hartselle areas of Alabama. I know some families down there still. What part are you in?
[Image

thepeacemaker7
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:53 pm

Hey Pandelta,
I live in northern Alabama, and I think Alabama is a nice place. However, I am part of a church in the Nashville area. (its a long story). I have friends at the church who are very creative musicians/artists -- and they all are very talented. Unfortunately, many of them have trouble paying the bills :icon_rolleyes:. I like playing music, but I am grateful that is not my full time job.

One of the reasons that I decided to take FAH more seriously and crank out the points is because my pastor mentioned that we Christians should be cheerful (hilarious) givers. I have been part of FAH for a long long time, but I always put the fahclient on my old dusty good-for-nothing-else computer. A computer that could barely make the WU deadllines and didn't generate many points. However, I just recently built a new office computer for myself; I decided to do that after I heard that sermon. I decided to overbuild my new office computer with digital giving in mind via distributed computing.

Most of my friends at church are not technically oriented people -- at all. They think in terms of Macs vs PC's, and when I mention that I use Linux Mint -- they have no idea what I am talking about :mrgreen:. When they think of giving they think in terms of giving money or feeding someone etc... However, I am one of the few people in my church that is talented with technology, and I am trying to determine how I can be useful to God with my talents. I believe distributed computing is one of those ways.

Col323
Senior Cruncher
Senior Cruncher

Postby Col323 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:37 am

Hello and welcome! Thanks for picking up the Folding at Home torch for us! It has long been a favorite project of mine, but right now I don't have the hardware to do much damage with it.

The largest team of ours is on World Community Grid. We are all over Boinc projects, however. Take a look! I totally agree with your attitude; we should be eager givers, and we can make good use of our computers to do so. Boinc allows us to support a variety of projects, and different folks prefer different types of work. I prefer the bio-medical projects, and you can currently find me on World Community Grid and TN-Grid. Here's a list of things I've run.

Our fearless leader should be around soon to fully activate your forum account.
Image <-- Click this banner to jump to our team's Folding stats page

USAFA82
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby USAFA82 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:15 am

Howdy and welcome to the forums!
I haven't crunched F@H in almost two years. Now that winter is here, I might pick it up again. I've focused on WCG lately and recently started TN-Grid. Both are BOINC projects.

I built my machine in 2009 using a first generation Core i7. I've upgraded the RAM and replaced the hard drives over the years but it still crunches along. I'll be adding a 1TB SSD sometime in the next week or so. I'm eyeing the 7th generation processors and might build a new Core i7-7700K but I've been saying that for a couple of years...lol.

thepeacemaker7
Cruncher
Cruncher

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:42 pm

Thanks Col323 and USAFA82,
I put one of my old computers on the World Community Grid in BOINC. So my name should appear in the Christians team sometime tomorrow. I'm not a huge fan of boinccmd, but I have finally gotten my computer crunching. :icon_cheesygrin:

I might also build a dedicated distributed computing machine next year as well (with a new core i7, graphics cards etc...), but I am going to have to save up some money first. :shock:

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:12 pm

Hey thepeacemaker7,

I generally only use Windows these days but I do like Linux Mint and also Ubuntu and Fedora. I have used all three several times but never knew enough about them to use only them.

I really like that concept of cheerful giving in terms of digital giving. I have always viewed it as helping others, especially when crunching to help find cures for diseases. Helping keep Christ's name in the stats on various projects has to me always been a way to witness, given its not true witness but in terms one on one relationships. That I do at work but I figure it counts for something. Next time my wife says something about the electric bill, I will bring up that I am cheerfully giving...LOL

I just built another computer in Oct and highly recommend it. Its a dual socket 32 thread/16 core 2.4 GHz Sandy Bridge based Xeons (E5-2665s). Intel is launching the V5 Xeons (Skylake) in June so prices are plummeting on the V1's since everyone is trying to dump them. They are dirt cheat and getting cheaper (now almost half what I paid). I only paid $110 for the two processors. I already had ram, power supply and case as my FX-8120 died so it only set me back about $500. The biggest expense is the motherboard, which I bought new. It was well worth it though! It so much faster! The nice thing about the mobo I got is I can in the future (if the prices drop enough) upgrade it to 48 core Ivy Bridge @ 2.7ghz or a 40 core @3 ghz.
[Image

Return to “Welcome and Introductions”