Back again

Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. Its primary purpose is to determine the mechanisms of protein folding, which is the process by which proteins reach their final three-dimensional structure, and to examine the causes of protein misfolding.
What is protein folding?
Proteins are biology's workhorses- its "nanomachines." Proteins help your body break down food into energy, regulate your moods, and fight disease. Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." While protein folding is critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology much of the process remains a mystery.

When proteins do not fold correctly (misfolding), there can be serious health consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, AIDS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many cancers.

If we better understand protein misfolding we can design drugs and therapies to combat these illnesses.
thepeacemaker7
Cruncher
Cruncher

Re: Back again

Postby thepeacemaker7 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:33 am

Hey Vester,
Are you F@H crunching now? I will be joining you shortly.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:35 am

Yes, I am running my 325 watt heater since the heating season is here. :)

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 pm

I returned again last fall (2018) with the same old R9 380 rig. I was quite busy for a year during an AV and acoustic treatment upgrade at our church. I was on the AV Committee and was also chairman of the Properties Committee. Take a look through the Facebook photo album which chronicled our work.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:40 am

Folding@home results are dependent on floating-point double-precision computing on the graphics processor(s). That means that the FP64 score is important. I just bought a brand-new Gigabyte Radeon 7990 video card for $200. Why buy a six year old video card? Look at this chart. (And the Titan V blows them all away!)

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:53 pm

I am going to get rid of my old, modified Dell Prescision 390 case into which I cannot put a high performance card into the PCIe 16x slot due to the large heatsink shroud. I am going to put my components on a rack. I am not buying a mining motherboard yet because I only have three video cards at this point, but I do have risers for three more cards.

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:05 am

Surprise! The Dell motherboard is form factor BTX, not ATX, and it won't work with the mining rack. A new motherboard, CPU, and RAM are on order, but I will be out of action for about a week. I simply don't want to reassemble that ugly, old computer although it cranked 482,715 points in 18 hours yesterday.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:04 pm

Vester wrote:I returned again last fall (2018) with the same old R9 380 rig. I was quite busy for a year during an AV and acoustic treatment upgrade at our church. I was on the AV Committee and was also chairman of the Properties Committee. Take a look through the Facebook photo album which chronicled our work.

That definitely looks like a lot of wiring and work!
[Image

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:36 am

It was amazing to see how many talented church members were willing to help! We did all of the sound booth modifications and acoustic panel additions ($6,000) for only $12,000 total. Stage Front charged $194,000 for the audio-visual upgrades. It sounds great!

Here is my current project. I need three more video cards to fill the slots. The parts will be here by next Wednesday.

pandelta
Veteran Cruncher
Veteran Cruncher

Postby pandelta » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:16 pm

That will be a really nice setup! Definitely looks sturdy.

My 4770k is running in an all open frame i made out of wood. Runs very cool but i ain't running GPU projects right now.

I would hate to see what that 7990 does to your power bill! :shock: but i best it sure cranks out the ppd!

If case your wondering who the guy is that sent you a FB request. Its me. :D
[Image

Vester
Experienced Cruncher
Experienced Cruncher

Postby Vester » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:16 pm

I tried to keep the cost lower by using an AMD Ryzen 6 core processor (65 watts). Folding@home will take one core per video card, so I can crunch on three CPU cores and the GPUs. I am expecting about 700 ppd for the rig at this point. The frame costs only $30, but it was an IQ test to assemble it due to no verbal instructions, only a dozen expanded sketches...and they switched perspective on me at one point just to let me reassemble some of it. :D

Return to “Folding@home”